The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dogs barking in the evening

Baileydog

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a just over 2 year old male labrador from a puppy he has been left alone and had no problems over the last 6 plus months he jas started barking if we are out in an evening continuesly I have tried several different things radio crate toys puzzles!! I am running out of ideas and options 😢 he has been checked over by the vet and he is fine while I'm at work in the day which confuses me alot he is walked 3 miles a day I don't know what else to try he is a big dog and neighbours have complained

If he is fine in the day, but not in the evening, it would suggest that there's something he can hear. Do you have any new appliances that you got 6 months ago, that might go on in the evening? Do your neighbours turn on a TV in the evenings that he can hear, and is alerted to?

Maybe rather than a radio, a white noise machine might help? You could also try an Adaptil pheromone product, these mimic the scent of a bitch after whelping and can have a calming effect.

Or, if he has been alone all day, he may object to being left at night too. Does he bark if you have been home all day too?

I have a radio I have ordered white noise machine I am home with him every evenings and if we do go out it's a weekend when im home all.day and I'm in a detached house I'm at a loss have also ordered some nutripaw calms to try

Could it be wildlife or a cat coming into your garden, maybe something that doesn't visit when people are around?

It could just be that he feels differently in the evening - as night draws in, he might feel that his family should be all safely in the house. Or if you're often out during the day, he's accepted this as your routine whereas he has come to expect you to be in in the evening, so being on his own then feels 'wrong'.

You could try gradually desensitising him - this would involve popping out the front door for a matter of seconds and coming back in, and gradually building up time - you could audio-record him to check that you're not leaving him too long as you build up the time. This post describes separation anxiety in detail, though if you're sure he's 100% fine in the day you would only have to work in the evenings: Separation anxiety

You could also utilise your neighbours here - the aim should be for you to never leave him longer than he can cope with, but if you ask them to message you the moment he barks, then they will know that you're addressing the problem.

Alternatively, if you're not out too often could you arrange for a dogsitter/friend/relation to 'babysit' him?

Could you take him to a person he loves to stay with then wouldn't be alone until you pick him up. That's so easy for everyone. Carnt to go out where they accept dogs the UK is pretty dog friendly. If you don't know can be very surprised we ring up and find out before we go book a meal. Been gob smacked with some places that are OK with fogs

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back