The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dogs in cars

Dogs4life76

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have a family member who things it’s quite acceptable to have a dog in a van where the windows don’t open but it’s acceptable because the cool air is blowing - not air con

Does anyone agree that this is fine?

Like a lot of things, it depends. On a day when there is no sun, or in a moving vehicle, or a short haired dog, or one left for moments when the driver calls into a shop, or in the shade - no problem. The opposites are unacceptable. And there is a big grey area in the middle.

Ok heres the deal as I see it. We have to set the bar at idiot level because if you try to factor in too many things the idiots get confused so although many people say , I leave the air con on/ I park in shade/ its only while I buy a newspaper etc the idiots just see. "its ok to leave a dog in a car" .

The RSPCA receives thousands of calls each year to rescue dogs from hot cars and if even half of those are real emergencies its too many.
As responsible dog owners I feel its up to us to set the example so my dogs have not ever been left in a car alone.
I wouldnt want an idiot to see my dogs and think its ok to leave their dog in a car..

No!! No!! No!! this is an animal welfare case. dogs die in hot cars does this family member know about this?

The dog was never alone in the van, they weren’t gone long but in my eyes taking a dog in a van front seat where the windows don’t go down is outrageous!! Whether the heater was on cool or not I think this is crazy but apparently I’m the crazy one

I'm confused - you say the dog was never alone in the van but they weren't gone for long?

Basically, if you know the van will stay at a comfortable temperature, then it's safe, and this may well be the case depending on the season, the temperature that day, the time of day, whether the vehicle will be in shade the whole time, how long you'll be away. I know plenty of intelligent people who leave their dogs in cars when it's safe to do so, such as in winter. Unfortunately, a lot of people are incapable of considering all the possible factors, such as whether the shade will move, and have no idea how hot a car can get and how dogs can struggle to cope with it.

I never leave my lad in the car because he'd probably freak out at being 'abandoned', set off the car alarm and scare himself even more, so I've never had to go through the process of wondering whether the car will stay cool enough or not. But obviously, if there's any doubt whatsoever, then you shouldn't leave your dog.

My old van had a sensor alarm in the cab and if I left Jake in the van while I ran in a shop for a loaf or something he would always(well, when he was more able)jump into the front and set off the alarm, usually just as I set foot in the shop!! But yes I agree with the above, common sense must be added to this equation,but sadly some people are very lacking in that department..

even on cool days, in full sun, a car can become alarmingly hot in a few minutes -
it's an enclosed, SMALL space, & sunlight beating on the roof & pouring thru the windows is a very efficient heating system, indeed. :eek: "Passive solar" systems are used to heat entire buildings, with their southern exposure as the entry for the heat, & they must have a means of bleeding-off excess heat from the building on sunny days, even when it's winter, on a cold day.

A vehicle's windshield or windscreen slopes back, which greatly increases the amount of sun-heat absorbed by the front passenger / driver area; If U park the car butt-on to the sun, put solar-shades on both front & rear windows, AND put solar-powered fans in the 4 side-windows, U can greatly reduce the heating effect of the sun - but U cannot possibly make it cooler than the ambient-temp. That's the limit - the air-temp of the surroundings is as low as U can possibly get, & U are very-unlikely to be able to match even the ambient-temp. :(

One problem for dogs is that panting is a very inefficient way to cool; dogs overheat much-more easily than humans, who can sweat over almost the entire body surface, while dogs can only EVAPORATE heated moisture from their airway & tongue.
A 5' 6" woman who weighs 150# has about 19-square-feet of surface area, & 90% of it sweats.
A 60# dog only has about 2-sq-ft of internal evaporative surface, & dogs' pinnae are not large-enuf to be effective radiators [vs the large ears on elephants, for instance].

A complicating issue is that any increase in atmospheric humidity makes it harder for dogs to evaporate - panting does not cool them, only evaporation does. When the humidity reaches 70%, it's difficult for dogs to evaporate enuf fluid to stay cool; if it's 70' F, which is a mild day, & 70% humidity, they're already working to stay relatively comfortable. Put them in full sun for a few minutes on a 70' / 70% day, & they will quickly be spooning their tongues & panting stertorously.
Park them on a warm paved surface, such as asphalt or concrete, rather than grass or soil, & they will be uncomfortably warm even-faster - if they're standing, it won't happen quite as fast, but if the dog lies down on that sun-heated paving, they will be dangerously warm [over 102' F internal temp] in less than 5-minutes.

When i 1st moved to Norfolk, VA, my woman vet explained it to me this way: on any warm day, if U are the least bit uncomfortable, TREBLE * THAT - & U'll have a slight approximation of how hot & uncomfortable Ur dog feels. :(
Dogs are also stoic - far-more stoic than is good for them, in fact.

another added risk is that once they ARE overheated, dogs take much-longer to cool down vs overheated humans - so even after U move the dog from the sunny area to shade, their core-temp continues to rise. :eek:

On a 60' F day, a 4-door sedan parked in full sun can reach an interior temp of 110' F in 10-minutes. That's lethal. If U left a child there, U'd be charged with reckless endangerment, & possibly with manslaughter. // The dog is more-likely to die than the child, assuming both are healthy & normal. :(

The only truly "safe" way to leave a dog in the car is under immobile shade, such as inside a parking-garage, with the windows cracked on a cool / warm day, or with the AC running, on a warm / hot day. // If U can't leave the car running & the AC on, & the ambient temp is over 75' F, then U can't in good conscience leave the dog there.

- terry

It's easy enough to get caught out even when not in a car - at this time of year it can be 15c, but if the sun's shining Jasper can get hot and panty and insist he needs to have a lie-down on a verge. Which is a pain as it dictates where we can go on walks and means I usually have to carry water. Not all dogs are this heat-intolerant but it's important to know how well your own dog copes with heat & sun.

I don't have anything to add but I do have a question. If somebody breaks into your car to let your dog out and they get bitten by the dog, who would be at fault? It rarely happens but when I have to leave the dog in the car I just put a sign up with my number.

That's an interesting question, Kayak. I don't know the answer, but I do know that if they break the window unnecessarily (i.e. the dog wasn't in danger) then they can be charged for criminal damage. One would have thought that a dog in a locked car couldn't be deemed to be 'dangerously out of control in a public place'.

Hmmm... I guess it's similar to someone breaking into your house and getting bitten by the dog. I'd get googling, but I'm not really here, I'm working... honest......!

It's easy enough to get caught out even when not in a car - at this time of year it can be 15c, but if the sun's shining Jasper can get hot and panty and insist he needs to have a lie-down on a verge. Which is a pain as it dictates where we can go on walks and means I usually have to carry water. Not all dogs are this heat-intolerant but it's important to know how well your own dog copes with heat & sun.
I always carry water and a small bowl, plus treats, a spare lead, pooh bags, tissues, bacterial gel, my purse with a five pound note and my phone. I also take a ball, even though I know he won't bring it back if I throw it. My bag is getting heavier and heavier. I like to cover every event.

if i have a dog with me, i have:
- water for the dog in a sport-cap bottle, year-round.
- water for me in a snap-top travel mug.
- a light snack for me,
- freeze-dried proteins for the dog;
- a tuggee, & at least one fetch or chase toy.
- a lightweight chewy - such as a cow hoof, hunk of unsawn antler, or sterilized bone.

If it's going to be a few hours in woods or fields, i take a small 1st-Aid kit with stuff for both of us:
cotton balls, a couple bandages, H2O2, tweezers [thorns, splinters], vet-wrap to keep the dog's TONGUE off an injury, an Ace-bandage for sprains, safety-pins for the Ace-wrap.
It weighs very little, & i rarely need it - but when i do, i do. :shrug: I'd rather carry it every time & need it once a year, than need it & not have it. ;)

I use a backpack, & if the dog is used to one, they can carry their own H2O, snacks, & toys. :D

- terry

if i have a dog with me, i have:
- water for the dog in a sport-cap bottle, year-round.
- water for me in a snap-top travel mug.
- a light snack for me,
- freeze-dried proteins for the dog;
- a tuggee, & at least one fetch or chase toy.
- a lightweight chewy - such as a cow hoof, hunk of unsawn antler, or sterilized bone.

If it's going to be a few hours in woods or fields, i take a small 1st-Aid kit with stuff for both of us:
cotton balls, a couple bandages, H2O2, tweezers [thorns, splinters], vet-wrap to keep the dog's TONGUE off an injury, an Ace-bandage for sprains, safety-pins for the Ace-wrap.
It weighs very little, & i rarely need it - but when i do, i do. :shrug: I'd rather carry it every time & need it once a year, than need it & not have it. ;)

I use a backpack, & if the dog is used to one, they can carry their own H2O, snacks, & toys. :D

- terry

Someone who carries more than me. First aid kit is a good idea. I have one for him but keep it in the kitchen cupboard. Will add some items to my bag.I think he is too small to carry his own backpack

I hasten to add, i don't carry the ENTIRE 1st-Aid kit! :D Only parts that i might use, & can't "fake".
I don't carry bandage scissors, a splint, antibiotic ointment, etc - just what i think are the necessities.

Someone else might have a completely-different kit - whatever works!

In VA, i'd also carry anti-histimine safe for dogs, in case of FIRE ANT stings. :eek: Fire-ants climb onto U, & then sting simultaneously on a chemical signal - U can get 10 to 50 or more stings, at the same time. Extremely painful, & if U are far from help, dangerous.

- terry

We don't have that sort of problem. Bee and wasps stings,which are usually minor.
But a few items in my bag will help.
I even take the bag when we go to the dog walking field which is a mere five minutes away. The vet practice is next to the pub we visit for coffee in the mornings.

As to someone breaking a window to access a dog, I know if by some strange chance my dog was in distress, And I can only imagine say me leaving her while I popped into a shop then say I collapsed and could not tell anyone about her. Then if some one broke in and helped her, after I recovered, (assuming I did), I would thank them. After all windows can be replaced but my dog can not.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back