The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dogs legs skipping

Violet Turner

Registered
Dog Walking Manchester
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Question about Olive
Hi,
I never thought anything of Olive’s walking, but she seems to skip on her back legs after about four steps forward.

When she walks she does about 4 steps then skips only on her back legs similar to the video -
I was wondering if this is normal.
Can anyone help me with what it could be? Does your dog do this?
Thanks Violet :)

My guess is luxating patella, though you'd need to take her to a vet for diagnosis.

I agree luxating patella is likely.

any GP-vet can do a "sliding drawer" test on her knees, U can see a vet do the test on U-Tube, i'm sure.
It's quick, simple, & usually only slightly uncomfortable, if at all - most dogs are more concerned with the restraint than the manipulation. :)

Luxation is graded for severity, & ***if*** she is small & kept lean, she may never need surgery, even if she has cr*p knees; if she's allowed to get pudgy, doesn't get loads of low-impact exercise [to develop muscles that help support the poor joint], or leaps & comes down badly, she may need surgery very-young.
Luxation can be minor or severe - the bigger the dog, the more crippling the condition.

- terry

Okay, well Olive will be going into the vets in July for a scale and polish i will see if they can do anything then. Thanks for the really quick reply greatly appreciated. Olive weighs 9kg, she is really lean but we have been trying to add weight on as after she gave birth her weight dropped.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back