The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dogs sunbathing

Michele83

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all

I've read that it is good to let your dog lie in the sun for reasons of Vit D etc, however to be careful they don't overdo it because of heatstroke/sun burn/skin cancer etc.

So I was just wondering, how long would you let your dog lie in the sun before bringing them in? And do you use lotion on yours?

I have read all about providing water, shade etc, and I also have a non-zinc sun lotion. Note: she is a whippet, so probably would burn faster than most because of the shorter hair.

Thanks

My dog starts panting when he's been lying in the sun for a while so I guess that's something to look out for. I normally then encourage him to go indoors.

Sunburn isn't really a risk for Harri but his thick coat does mean he gets very hot. He is entirely self regulating though. When he gets uncomfortable he will voluntarily seek shade.

Your dog will normally know when it is too much, and will ask you to go back inside, or if the door is open, he'd go back in. Both my dogs do it anyway! They should always have fresh water too
I'd say avoid letting them walk on hot surfaces like asphalt,hurts their paws

I agree, they usually know what to do if they get too hot so leave the door open, my girl loves sunbathing so I just let her for as long as she likes and she just comes in when she’s had enough :)
I’ve never used lotion but I’m sure you can buy special doggy sunscreen to be on the safe side, especially on areas with less hair (e.g. top of nose).

Be careful of too much running around in the sun though - for some types of dog, say they take off after a deer on a hot day and forget about being sensible, it can prove literally fatal.

I use baby sun cream on my lurcher's pink bits (under side) as she likes to lie on her back on the grass in full sun.
She will decide to go in the shade if she gets too hot.

Can I just throw in that you should check your sunscreens don't contain zinc if you are applying them anywhere that your dogs can lick.

Can I add it's not a simple sun/vitamin d process for dogs in the same way as people. Your dog will never get enough of this Vitamin through the skin- it has to be through diet. The best source I've found is salmon oil. BUT wild salmon is much better and of course this gives another moral dilemma because taking salmon from the wild has negative environmental effects. I struggle on trying to do the best for the boys with least damage...:confused:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back