The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Doxycycline Antibiotic For Whippets

WhippetMan1982

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi people. I'm new to this forum but i have two whippets. Sadly my whippets had a fight last night over a rat (which was caught in a cage trap i had left overnight). One of my whippets has two large punctures through his skin on the base of his neck. My question is would it be safe to use the antibiotic Doxycycline 100mg for a whippet that weighs 14kg? I went to the vet and asked for antibiotics but he would not give me any unless he saw the dog. He said its illegal under the drug act in Australia to give out medications without seeing the dog (this is a vet i have known for over 20 years and have been a loyal customer so go figure, wont be seeing him any more). He would charge $100 just to see the dog when i know that he only needs antibiotics and nothing else. I haven't got much money at the moment but i do have some spare doxycycline that i never used when i had an infection. I had repeat prescription which i didn't need to use. If i can use Doxycyline on my whippet that would be great. I did a quick search on google and says that doxycycline can be used on dogs but it that true for whippets to? i know they can be sensitive to some medications.

any advice much appreciated,

thanks

Hi people. I'm new to this forum but i have two whippets. Sadly my whippets had a fight last night over a rat (which was caught in a cage trap i had left overnight). One of my whippets has two large punctures through his skin on the base of his neck. My question is would it be safe to use the antibiotic Doxycycline 100mg for a whippet that weighs 14kg? I went to the vet and asked for antibiotics but he would not give me any unless he saw the dog. He said its illegal under the drug act in Australia to give out medications without seeing the dog (this is a vet i have known for over 20 years and have been a loyal customer so go figure, wont be seeing him any more). He would charge $100 just to see the dog when i know that he only needs antibiotics and nothing else. I haven't got much money at the moment but i do have some spare doxycycline that i never used when i had an infection. I had repeat prescription which i didn't need to use. If i can use Doxycyline on my whippet that would be great. I did a quick search on google and says that doxycycline can be used on dogs but it that true for whippets to? i know they can be sensitive to some medications.
any advice much appreciated,

thanks
Hello and welcome to the forum, sorry you have had this incident and hope your dogs are now OK with each other.

I know its frustrating for you but bites especially puncture wounds can get badly infected if not treared correctly, antibiotics are now very advanced and pretty specific to each problem so the correct one must be given to be quickly effective and prevent problems

Clean wounds are a different matter , so my advice would be to clean with salt water and visit the vet for the right ABs

Hope all goes well and we can have pics of your two, we love pics on here

Jan

Sorry to hear about your dogs bite ,

we have the same rules in the UK . if a vet is found to have given out drugs without seeing the animal hecan be severly repremaded and maybe loss his job , Agree with Janp and get the right antis for him

I agree, go to the vet and get the correct prescription for your whippet.

I work in the pharmaceutical industry.

Firstly, I believe there might be a contra-indication for doxycycline in dogs weighing under 15kg

Secondly, you need a full 5 or 7 day course for an antibiotic to be effective

Thirdly, and against my advice, if you do decide to dose him then please read this

"What is Doxycycline: Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic used to fight bacterial infections in dogs and cats. Doxycycline is available by prescription as 100mg tablets and 100mg capsules. The usual dose of doxycycline in dogs is 2-5mg/pound every 12 to 24 hours. The usual dose of doxycycline in cats is 2mg/pound every 12 hours. When giving the medication to a cat, follow the dose with a moist treat. Doxycycline is used to treat many different bacterial infections, such as Lyme disease, chlamydia, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and others. Doxycycline may be used for purposes other than those listed in this guide."

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another point that's relevant with regards to anti-biotics. Different types are prescribed for different circumstances for a reason. Any competant medical / veterinary person would prescribe the anti-biotics based on the nature of the wound, the source of injury and assess what bacteria could result in an infection and which specific anti-biotics those bacteria would be susceptible to. The risk from self prescribing is that they may be inneffective and more worryingly could encourage anti-biotic resistance.

I'm not sympathetic to the costs incurred from taking your dog to a vet but the $100 your paying for is to receive the right medical treatment based on that person's extensive medical knowledge - not just a willy-nilly prescribed course of anti-biotics that may /may not work.

It is unlikely that the vet would prescribe doxycycline ofr puncture wounds. they would be more likley to prescribe either clindamycin (antirobe) or co-amoxiclav(synulox) You shgould definitley visit your vet without delay. Why should he risk his livelihood for you? - you are paying for his expertise and knowledge.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back