The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dry dog food

Katb

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi guys.I have a 6 mth chihuahua. He is currently on royal canin dry food.after all the bad reviews on this food I desperately want to change he's food.I have done alot of researching and narrowed it down to 4 possibilities. They are applaws fish4dogs, acana and barking heads.anyone use these brands.and what do you reckon about them.or if anyone can recommend any other good quality dry dog food.thanks

I have just started using Pure, a dehydrated food. It looks eye-wateringly expensive at about £30 for a box the size of a cereal packet but you use relatively small amounts as it swells a lot when you add water. Ideally I would feed raw but that isn't practical for me sometimes. Have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk for ideas. It rates all types of food and is a very useful resource.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I feed raw to my lot I like to keep a back up of kibble. I would thoroughly recommend Millies Wolfheart.

I can use it as an emergency when ever I like without any tummy upsets, the girls love it as healthy treats and I have introduced it to my raw fed litter of puppies this year

(only a small amount each day) just so that their tummies are used to a kibble when they leave home, and again no upset tummies. Just lovely firm poo's.

A lovely home made (British) product. Acana is also very easy to use.

Gentle is another good dried food. It is cold pressed rather than ultra high heat treated.

You are spoilt for choice!

Thanks guys.never heard of gentle so will research that one.I'm very tempted to try applaws or acana though.just waiting for some freebies to c if he likes them:)

Hi gypsy mum I have just ordered some free samples and let's see how he likes it.thanku

I have also in the past used the Applaws, again just as a back up and again also introduced a small amount to raw fed puppies , I did have to be careful not to use too much.

This was all before I think, they changed their ingredients though!

These good quality grain free kibbles are easy to use and problem free as long as you don't try to feed too much!!

Have you considered a raw diet ??? It would not be too difficult for such a small dog and "Natures Menu" make lovely convenient frozen nuggets!

No I haven't thought about raw excuse me. Don't like handling raw meat so couldn't feed raw if I wanted to.just looking forward to trying out freebies when they come.I really want him of this royal canin now.reviews are worrying

That's a shame!

I hope you find a nice kibble for your little chap, there are some good ones out there.

I give Barking Heads (fat dog slim) for my pug and so far it has been one of the best kibble brands I have tried :)) .

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back