The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Dry food hater

EveDaisyAFMM

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My little Daisy is a 4 year old F1 cockapoo and despite trying out a plethora of dry kibble brands, including her own personal blend from Tails.com, won't eat dry food by itself.

We typically add in a little wet food or tuna to get her to eat it, but our vet has told us she shouldn't have wet food for both meals in the day :(

Any dry food recommendations?

Did your vet give a reason why she couldn't have wet food (or rather kibble with a little wet food) for both meals? It's not something I've come across before.

Have you ever considered trying the "Millies Wolfheart" kibbles or tinned foods (online purchases only) and prices include delivery. I am a raw feeder and usually suggest the raw product but I always keep some Millies kibble as a back up for when I forget to take meat from the freezer.
If you should decide to try the Millies Wolfheart, I would suggest starting with their lowest protien (our lot love the "Forerunner"). Poos are very firm and almost a pleasure to pick up, no bad wind or large smelly poos either.

Some people seem to believe that certain food types shouldn't be eaten together - you sometimes hear about people saying this about raw with kibble. However, I don't really hold much faith in that - after all, we mix foods with every meal and your dog's digestive system is a lot stronger than ours.

I don't think there's any harm in using a wet food as a topper to make the dry more appetising.

However.

Tails isn't as tailored as they would like you to think. It's just a mix of different kibbles, and if you ask for something specific (like under x% fat and no chicken) they can't deliver. It's not a bad food as such, it's just a bit gimmicky and an expensive way of getting your dog's name printed on the food bag.

If your dog doesn't like dry food, would you consider feeding wet? Or, if that isn't practical, there are some foods that are semi dry. I feed one, Platinum , they would send you samples if you are interested. It's much more strongly flavoured than normal kibble and dogs generally love it, even fussy ones.

thank you for the advice guys! For context, the vet said they think too much wet food is fattening for her, which I guess makes sense? Even though she's lost weight recently but she has been a little chunky in the past.

i haven't tried Millies or Platinum before so I will put them on my list to try with Daisy! Daisy does love wet food, I just don't want the vet to think I'm ignoring advice!

You can simply reduce the amount of dry food you give her to allow for the extra calories in the wet food.

Your vet may not have had much training in canine nutrition. Apparently, a lot just get a few hours of training during their studies and that is often provided by one of the big companies whose products they are encouraged to sell.

So reducing a little of the food, or increasing the exercise, often is enough to shift those extra pounds. If you find she is still hungry, adding some cooked veg can help fill her up. And that might even be enough to make dry food more tempting - I used to keep a bag of mixed frozen veg handy, I'd microwave a little in water, drain and mash it then add to my dog's food (then we found Platinum!).

Your vet may not have had much training in canine nutrition. Apparently, a lot just get a few hours of training during their studies and that is often provided by one of the big companies whose products they are encouraged to sell.

So reducing a little of the food, or increasing the exercise, often is enough to shift those extra pounds. If you find she is still hungry, adding some cooked veg can help fill her up. And that might even be enough to make dry food more tempting - I used to keep a bag of mixed frozen veg handy, I'd microwave a little in water, drain and mash it then add to my dog's food (then we found Platinum!)
Oh gosh, that is frightening! But thank you for the advice!

Daisy is like a little kid and has always hated veggies but, carrots seem to be the exception, so I'll try adding some more of those!!

Go easy on root veggies as they are full of sugar. If you have a blender, you could whip up some greens and add a little meat stock, see if that works.
Ooo never heard this before - sounds smart! Will definitely give it a go, thank you!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back