The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Durable toys

mdkel

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hey guys,

Zappa has turning to be a super chewer (hahaha made up word I think). He destroys every toy I get him...

What type of toys do you give your doggies?? Durable toys, that they can chew, destroy, and swallow 1 or 2 bits...

Jasper's not a chewer so this might not be of much help, but his favourite toy is the Petmate Floppy Tug: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Petmate-Ch...qid=1518183773&sr=8-1&keywords=floppy+dog+tug I've got a large and a small one, both a few years old now.

You could try cardboard boxes that he could shred? Messy, but cheap to replace! A friend recommends cabbage, but I'd worry that they'd eat it and have godawful wind:confused:

Recently I've been using an empty Dr. Pepper bottle. What's the worse that could happen? Seriously, our dog has been chasing that around a lot, I think he likes the noise when he crunches it and it's stood up to a bit of chewing, although he isn't a serial chewer.

I’ve never found a durable toy, despite what they may claim. Misty can easily destroy indestuctable toys with a bit of perseverance :oops:
When she was a puppy I found kongs with the paste in very good as they’d keep her entertained for a while. Also putting a little bit of kibble in a cereal box or similar was always good, still is.

Water bottles because they are durable in my eyes!

water bottles are for a 20 min fun time, he destroys them. the one toy that keeps "alive" is a kong, but usually I give him with a little peanut butter, so I think he doesnt destroy it because he associates it with food :D :D

A friend told me about starmark (
).
They are a behaviorist company, and make durable toys specially for dogs (tested and approved :D )... I'm going to try them .... he loves sticks, but I'm affraid he'll get hurt with them...

Another question if I can,

Zappa spent 2,5 hours playing with his 2 favorite friends yesterday, running like crazy around a football field, and a friends garden, plus the walk. He got to the point that he just layed down, and he got his stoper pads hurt (no blood, just "reddish").

Today he's a bit lazy. Went for a 45min walk in the morning, and another one about 2 hours ago. He's eating well, played with us. But normally he would get the zoomies after he ate. Today he just played a little and went to sleep on the sofa.

I'm guessing he's just tired right'??
Zappa 7 month.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First time he's tired the next day. He run too much I guess :D :D :D
Yes but if their is anything unusual take him to the vet! Are the pads hot to touch?

Last edited:
If his pads are sore after playing on the football pitch (which doesn't look like real grass?) then I'm guessing he's feeling a bit delicate!

How are his pads now? do they hurt to touch?

At 7-8 months his walks should be up to 40 minutes, twice a day, so if he's having that on top of a lot of running around with his mates, it could be a bit much for his joints. It might be best to build in some breaks on future playdates.

It's possible he's a bit sore from overexertion, but if there's no limping or reluctance to move and he just seems quiet rather than 'down' and 'not himself' then I wouldn't worry.

Yes but if their is anything unusual take him to the vet! Are the pads hot to touch?
Nope, normal pads, just a little sore/hurt on the stopper pads (carpal pads). the "foot" pads are normal.

He let's me touch them , but won't let me squeeze them or touch them for too long, but I didn't try too much so...

He's beeing he's normal self, just sleeping when normally he would run around the house and play. Normal is dinner at 19.45/20.00 and running/playing until 21.45/22.00 and then sleep until 07.30h. Todad was dinner at 19.45, playing until 20.20h or so, and sleep . He ate very very well, I gave him a few treats about 15min ago and he ate them quikly :D

"How are his pads now? do they hurt to touch?" he doesnt seem to be hurt, but he's licking them a little bit. He also limped a bit when he started walking, but then acted normal..

Nope, normal pads, just a little sore/hurt on the stopper pads (carpal pads). the "foot" pads are normal.

He let's me touch them , but won't let me squeeze them or touch them for too long, but I didn't try too much so...

He's beeing he's normal self, just sleeping when normally he would run around the house and play. Normal is dinner at 19.45/20.00 and running/playing until 21.45/22.00 and then sleep until 07.30h. Todad was dinner at 19.45, playing until 20.20h or so, and sleep . He ate very very well, I gave him a few treats about 15min ago and he ate them quikly :D

"How are his pads now? do they hurt to touch?" he doesnt seem to be hurt, but he's licking them a little bit. He also limped a bit when he started walking, but then acted normal..
Have you inspected the pad and the surrounding area? it could be a bit of glass or a grass seed ... just check for licking of the nose when doing it. (Its a sign of stress)

Have you inspected the pad and the surrounding area? it could be a bit of glass or a grass seed ... just check for licking of the nose when doing it. (Its a sign of stress)

yap, the stopper pads (the left one) is hurt, like when you burn the tip of a finger (less than 1cm ) . he doesnt lick the nose, just looks at me :D and, if I squeeze to much he takes the paw from my hand, no big deal

yap, the stopper pads (the left one) is hurt, like when you burn the tip of a finger (less than 1cm ) . he doesnt lick the nose, just looks at me :D and, if I squeeze to much he takes the paw from my hand, no big deal
what I would do: if you have any cotton wool, get HALF a TEASPOON of salt and mix it with Half a PINT of water and bathe the area, if you want to do it bathe it now, tomorrow morning and night and see how it is tomorrow.

At 7-8 months his walks should be up to 40 minutes, twice a day, so if he's having that on top of a lot of running around with his mates, it could be a bit much for his joints. It might be best to build in some breaks on future playdates.

It's possible he's a bit sore from overexertion, but if there's no limping or reluctance to move and he just seems quiet rather than 'down' and 'not himself' then I wouldn't worry.

he limpped a little bit, but after 20secs or so he walks normally.

you say 40 min walks, but isnt that low? I usually take him for a 45 min walk in the morning and 1 hour (1,5 hour maybe) in the afternoon . 3 days per week he goes to play with he's mates (1 hour, 2hours, depending). But if I just do the 40min walk twice, he runs like crazy around the house, always playing, always chewing :D he also get's the zoomies when he eats and when he get's home from a long walk (overtired maybe??)

what I would do: if you have any cotton wool, get HALF a TEASPOON of salt and mix it with Half a PINT of water and bathe the area, if you want to do it bathe it now, tomorrow morning and night and see how it is tomorrow.

I'm using bepanthene plus (vet told me to put it f he ever got a wound). what do you think?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back