The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Eating everything.....

Jo*

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Help.......

How can I stop my puppy eating unsavoury things in my garden and out on walks short of muzzling him??

He eats Bird Poo and Cat Poo in my garden, as well as the decorative bark, and any Moss that's laying around, but I'd rather he eat that then the poo!

Out on walks he will eat lumps of Mud on the playing field from the footballers boots, and Seaweed on the beach, again thats not bad compared to the rabbit poo and a dead Squirrel he found when he was walking through the woods! :(

I want to be able to let him off the lead, but i certainly don't want him eating things that he shouldn't, and when he does find something he's not supposed to have he does not come back, which resulted him stopping traffic yesterday on the Bypass when my partner took him out for a walk and he found the Squirrel!

I've tried scolding him and putting him back on his lead, and making noises to discourage it, but nothing seems to be working!

He picks up other training things really easily, and generally is a good boy, but when it comes to eating things he is really bad and is massively Food orientated!

He is a Lab x Siberian Husky and is now 5 months old which i know is still young, but I want to break this now before it's to late!

I did ask the guy at puppy training classes what to do, but he said food orientation is a good thing for training, which it is, but treats in my pocket is not as good as Poo according to Puppy!

Any tips, advice or anything will be gratefully received!

Jo

Hi jo,

i have the same problem!

Mine ate a dead bird the other day, then promptly threw it back up again in my house! needless to say the stench was gut wrenching!

anyway, you are not going to be able to stop them from eating things when they are off lead, he has lab in him and this means eat everything!!!

the 2 things i have found to help (not cure) the problem is something really tasty. My Bear loves cheese and if i have that on my hands and he has the smell of it from my hands before he wanders off and then i see him eating something he shouldnt or go to eat something he shouldnt i call him back to me and then he gets the little bit of cheese as a reward. i'm talking finger nail size of cheese not a whole slice otherwise i would have one very fat dog on my hands!

the other is a spray. it lets off a spray of air that sounds like a hiss and it stops the dog doing whatever it was it was or about to do. it startles them it doesnt scare them.

i have found this to be effective at home when Bear decides to try and chew the fence or eat stones, or anything else he can wrap his mouth round.

http://www.pet-supermarket.co.uk/Products/CN47047/company-of-animals-pet-corrector

do order it on line if you do try this. you get a bigger can for the same as a small one from somewhere like pets at home.

i am still having issues with my little guy now but these 2 things have helped me try and curb his desire to anything!

good luck :)

Sophie

Thank you Sophie I shall give it a whirl!

Tajh ate a lump of horse poo on the beach today, and then threw up in my car just as I got home, I was not happy, but it appears this was down to travel sickness and not the fact that he ate Poo!lol.

So car sickness is yet another thing to try to get round!

Having a pup is worse than having a baby!lol. :ermm:

Jo

XX

I haven't got children and to be honest Bear takes up so much of my time I don't think I would have time for a child! Lol!

And travel sickness maybe down to nerves or anxiety.

Talk to your vet or veterinary nurse about ways to combat travel sickness.

I'm lucky Bear doesn't suffer from it but my Rotti dd and was sick even on the shortest of journies!

The only thing I can think of is to maybe delay feeding your pup before travelling so empty belly means no sick or if there is it would just be a bit of bile that shouldn't smell!

Good luck and I know still need it with my pooch!

Sophie x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back