The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Egg Rolling

Hula

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Do other people have this problem at easter ? Where I live people roll hard boiled eggs down all the hillls where I usually take the dogs . This means that there will be egg and shell all over the place . So for the next two weeks or so I will have to avoid all the places I usually take the dogs . If I don't they will spend the whole time eating eggs and shell which usually results in diarrhoea and or vomiting . Lets face it they don't use their best eggs for rolling . Probably just some manky old eggs which have been lying at the back of the fridge for weeks :wacko:

no one does it round here....think they prefer theirs scrambled :teehee:

Oh yes..last easter we had taken oscar,cesc and Henry {annies dogs} to wimbledon...now picture the scene...family with 2 young children,2 beautifully decorated eggs that the children had obviously taken great care over.Add to th picture 3 whippets running down the hill and mugging them!!

Then 2 very embarresed owners apologising for their naughty dogs.

Oh yes..last easter we had taken oscar,cesc and Henry {annies dogs} to wimbledon...now picture the scene...family with 2 young children,2 beautifully decorated eggs that the children had obviously taken great care over.Add to th picture 3 whippets running down the hill and mugging them!!Then 2 very embarresed owners apologising for their naughty dogs.
oops

sorry did make me chuckle

Iv not had any problems my self, but i know Nicky (ingsay2000) had bothere with some people last year and there egg rolling.

i really dont think people think about the fact there are basically littering rubbish everywhere when they leave the eggs at the bottom of the hills :(

Iv not had any problems my self, but i know Nicky (ingsay2000) had bothere with some people last year and there egg rolling.i really dont think people think about the fact there are basically littering rubbish everywhere when they leave the eggs at the bottom of the hills :(
I did indeed Katie, and it still riles me to think about it :rant:

Even when I explained that all my dogs were doing were clearing up their rubbish (which they would undoubtedly leave behind) and was lying unattended 50 meters distance down a hill from them, and that it was ultimately MY dogs and wildlife that will suffer as a result, they still believed that "dogs shouldnt be walked on Easter Sunday or ANY public holiday for that matter!"

Thank goodness these people only crawl out of their holes once a year!

Iv not had any problems my self, but i know Nicky (ingsay2000) had bothere with some people last year and there egg rolling.i really dont think people think about the fact there are basically littering rubbish everywhere when they leave the eggs at the bottom of the hills :(
I did indeed Katie, and it still riles me to think about it :rant:

Even when I explained that all my dogs were doing were clearing up their rubbish (which they would undoubtedly leave behind) and was lying unattended 50 meters distance down a hill from them, and that it was ultimately MY dogs and wildlife that will suffer as a result, they still believed that "dogs shouldnt be walked on Easter Sunday or ANY public holiday for that matter!"

Thank goodness these people only crawl out of their holes once a year!
Unfortunately the mess they leave behind lasts for more than a day .

Oh yes..last easter we had taken oscar,cesc and Henry {annies dogs} to wimbledon...now picture the scene...family with 2 young children,2 beautifully decorated eggs that the children had obviously taken great care over.Add to th picture 3 whippets running down the hill and mugging them!!Then 2 very embarresed owners apologising for their naughty dogs.

Bet you secretly wanted to laugh though :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately the mess they leave behind lasts for more than a day .

Absolutely, and they also dont appreciate the shear volume that is left rotting in every green space. They only see their own insular little world. Typical of our species!

I had Megan out at 6pm and loads of families were still rolling the stupid eggs down the hills in Braidburn Valley. If Megan eats them she gets a seriously upset tummy :angry: They were all over the place :-

It's disgusting . If I were to take the dogs to Blackford hill tomorrow I would be ankle deep in disgusting eggs and my dogs would be running around like vacuum cleaners :wacko:

Ive always thought egg shells are good for dogs as a source of calcium....mine get raw and cooked eggs on a regular basis.

Please correct me if Im wrong... :blink:

We also crush ours up and feed them to the hens, so I dont think they will hurt any wildlife either. (Suppose if they are rotten....then YES)

Ive made Paste Eggs for Easter, but ours all get eaten....yummy. :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and my sister used to roll a painted egg when we were younger, maybe we are weird but there was never any mess left as we used to eat them after :p not the shells of course,we always went really isolated places.

Ive always thought egg shells are good for dogs as a source of calcium....mine get raw and cooked eggs on a regular basis.

We also crush ours up and feed them to the hens, so I dont think they will hurt any wildlife either.

i think its more the fact its boil eggs which are all broken on the ground and tomorrow they will have been there over night, collecting all manner of germs, :x

plus the fact that a majority of them will have been old and foosty to begin with, as most people wont go out and buy new eggs just to roll down a hill, as hula said "Probably just some manky old eggs which have been lying at the back of the fridge for weeks"

if we are talking average family of 4, with even just 2 eggs each, so that 8 they would be eating just from one family, having seen Arther Seat this moring with easily a couple of hundered familys, thats alot of eggs :unsure: I know my dogs wouldnt stop at just one :x

We also crush ours up and feed them to the hens, so I dont think they will hurt any wildlife either.

i think its more the fact its boil eggs which are all broken on the ground and tomorrow they will have been there over night, collecting all manner of germs, :x

plus the fact that a majority of them will have been old and foosty to begin with, as most people wont go out and buy new eggs just to roll down a hill, as hula said "Probably just some manky old eggs which have been lying at the back of the fridge for weeks"

if we are talking average family of 4, with even just 2 eggs each, so that 8 they would be eating just from one family, having seen Arther Seat this moring with easily a couple of hundered familys, thats alot of eggs :unsure: I know my dogs wouldnt stop at just one :x
Gosh that is a lot Katie.. (w00t) did not realise this tradition was still kept up....

suppose when we were kids there were only a few of us, not that many....... we always used freshly boiled ones...not old ones either....

they should at least clean up then, if its as bad as that !!! A Polite notice may help,..... :thumbsup:

I've never rolled an egg in my life...I've missed out!!!

I did 'blow' 20 on Good Friday for the children to decorate...Blue and Daisy LOVE scrambled eggs...luckily!

I've never even heard of egg rolling (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

Always fascinates me, these different local foibles :lol: :lol:

I've never rolled an egg in my life...I've missed out!!!
I did 'blow' 20 on Good Friday for the children to decorate...Blue and Daisy LOVE scrambled eggs...luckily!

oh clair youv missed out,

the church i used to go to when i was wee, would meet in the park on easter sunday to roll eggs down the hill. the first one down with a intacked uncrcked egg would win a chocolate egg :)

they would then go back to the church and have a best decorated bonnet and egg competition, i remeber winning with my egg it was decorated as a spring lamb, with cotton wool stuck all over it and match sticks for legs :)

i ask my gran the other day and she says the church meet there 8am easter sunday morning :thumbsup:

Nice to hear this 'non- commercial' tradition is still happening- a family activity, fresh air included! lovely

As to the mess.....I wouldn't be bothered too much about our whippets picking at the remains-I'm sure they pick up worse.

A dog's stomach should be able to cope ok.

Also at least the 'litter' left behind is natural.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back