The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Eletric Dog Training Collars

noopy_101

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I heard these collars are very good for re-training naughty dogs.

Wouldnt use one no matter how naughty or disobedient the dog was .....

wouldnt use anything on my dogs that i wouldnt want used on myself im afraid!

A friend of mine used one on their Jack Russell but it made no difference- even though she was getting zapped .

Maybe she was the exception to the rule.

lillybell said:
A friend of mine used one on their Jack Russell but it made no difference- even though she was getting zapped .Maybe she was the exception to the rule.

Had the same problem with Wiliam he just ignored it and if he shook he would set it of

there trying to get these colers band and I must admite I agree with baning them Dogs should be traned with love and kindness not electrified. Think the mony would be better spend on some lesons from a good traner but thats my personal opinion.

Electric shock collars sound awful, I wouldn't use one. I have got one of the remote control Abiostop collars that give out a blast of air under the dogs chin, It worked for Hebe when she used to run up to people barking. You have to be very careful to get the timing right or the dog can assosiate the "punishment" with something else nearby and this can cause all sorts of other problems.

noopy_101 said:
I heard these collars are very good for re-training naughty dogs.
let me put one round your neck and press the button i'm sure you wouldn't want me to press it again. there are better ways to train dogs imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep I agree the sooner that they are banned the better.

These collars are cruel :( .......Kindness, fun and respect are the perfect ways to train :)

Tests have proved that these collars can actually damage a dogs neck - can you imagine a poor whippet with one of those round it.

Anyone wanting to try one out should do so on themselves first. I'll be in charge of the control for you!!!!!

These collars should be banned and under no circumstances would I even consider using one of these on my dogs. They are sick contraptions. You would not use one of these on your children therefore why use one on your dog? There are much gentler methods out there for dealing with "naughty" dogs. Please do not use one of these collars...the sooner they are banned the better.

I agree that for any normal training they should not be used. Not for whppets, not for any dogs.

However, having said that, I actually own one and use it occasionally. Yes, I've tried it on myself...on a low setting, the right kind of remote-controlled collar is uncomfortable but not painful. Yes, I've even tried it on my neck! I would never do anything to them without trying it first. On a high setting it is absolutely HORRIBLE and very painful...I tried all the settings when I first got it, and can't deny that they can be severe punishment.

The only time I use it is when my Fizgig is running free and we're somewhere within a mile or two of potential motor traffic. I don't care how his general recall is, even though it's pretty good. He can ignore me if he is distracted, and I don't use the collar. But if he taks off chasing something and my choice is to zap him (lower setting, of course) or have him hit by a car, I'll definetely choose the zap.

I'v only ever used it twice, both times as he chased something and approached a road. Once a rabbit, once a bit of plastic bag caught in the wind. Both times he stopped, looked confused for a second, and turned back to me.

It's the one situation where I think they can be appropriate. Avoiding death is worth a shock, at least to me. Not much else will stop a "prey"-chasing whippet from running into the street and possibly being maimed or killed. It allows him to be a free whippet, and to still be safe. We call it the "Hand if God" because it will reach down and smite Fiz if he's about to do something life-threatening and inherently whippety!

I know they're not right for everyone, but I just had to reply to bring up one possible appropriate use, at least in my opinion.

Rachel

I would never use a shock collar in any circumstances, training should be through fun not fear, personally I wouldn't even use a citrus spray collar -although I know a lot of people do use them.

Have to say i reckon ive got a naughty dog uncontrollable barking when we are out barks at dogs cats and bikes or just air, recall is it or miss if there are other dogs about, so done the right thing took him to training classes and there answer was to use a high pitched whistle right near his ear when he barked this is supposed to be pain free its advertised as pain free and my dog howled and cried scratched at his ears he was in pain, i told them i didnt want that used on my dog but they kept using it when i walked past so i took the dog home he had the runs the shakes and generally very quiet for 3 days and that is classed as humane i dont think so, he is now trained on love and understanding and noone not even Jill aka buffyrannoch who met us a show would recongise him or hear him now (well mostof the time) and this has took 3 months of intense love and understanding.

Sorry to have waffled on but just wanted to say there are other methods rather than causing discomfort and also think if u do use it and u dont have it on and he escapes from the house/garden how u going to get him home safe if he only listens to the collar and why cuase pain to something that loves u unconditionaly and relys on you to keep him safe

chelle123 said:
Have to say i reckon ive got a naughty dog uncontrollable barking when we are out barks at dogs cats and bikes or just air, recall is it or miss if there are other dogs about, so done the right thing took him to training classes and there answer was to use a high pitched whistle right near his ear when he barked this is supposed to be pain free its advertised as pain free and my dog howled and cried scratched at his ears he was in pain, i told them i didnt want that used on my dog but they kept using it when i walked past so i took the dog home he had the runs the shakes and generally very quiet for 3 days and that is classed as humane i dont think so, he is now trained on love and understanding and noone not even Jill aka buffyrannoch who met us a show would recongise him or hear him now (well mostof the time) and this has took 3 months of intense love and understanding.
Sorry to have waffled on but just wanted to say there are other methods rather than causing discomfort and also think if u do use it and u dont have it  on and he escapes from the house/garden how u going to get him home safe if he only listens to the collar and why cuase pain to something that loves u unconditionaly and relys on you to keep him safe

Well done michelle, looking forward to seeing Blue again :wub: :thumbsup:

I wouldnt dream of using an electric collar on a whippet :wacko:

Sorry to have waffled on but just wanted to say there are other methods rather than causing discomfort and also think if u do use it and u dont have it on and he escapes from the house/garden how u going to get him home safe if he only listens to the collar and why cuase pain to something that loves u unconditionaly and relys on you to keep him safe

WELL SAID! :thumbsup: YOU ARE SO OBVIOUSLY A DOG LOVER NOT A DOG KEEPER! :huggles:

The thought that anyone can go and buy one leaves me cold.

In the wrong hands they would be barbaric. :(

mazza said:
The thought that anyone can go and buy one leaves me cold.In the wrong hands they would be barbaric.  :(

or maybe not..................................... :- "

j 8) h n

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back