The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Emergency Vets

BeeJay

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
A friend has just had to have her dog treated by an Emergency Vets. The vets in her area have seemingly decided to use this 'company' Vets Now rather than give emergency care themselves.

Looking at the web site they cover many areas throughout the UK.

The main issue with this type of vets appears to be is that they only work out of hours so a very sick animal has to be moved to it's normal vets at 7 am the next day. Obviously at this time the normal vets isn't open so the animal leaves Vets Next and then has to stay somewhere until the normal vets can take it.

My friend has also been charged an initial consulation fee of £150. Guess at those prices you wouldn't want your dog in there for very long. :(

It might be worth checking to see if your vets use them for emergency cover.

As I've only heard about this from someone who isn't happy about the service that they have provided (her cousins dog died after it's problem wasn't detected) I'd be interested to know if others have had good experiences with the company.

None of us ever know when we'll need to use an emergency vets clinic.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Kit got run over she ended up in "pet medics", sounds like a similar kind of thing,apart from sedate her til morning they did bugger all else and charged us £250 for the privelage. Then we had to move her to our own vets the next morning

Yes , it seems alot of Vets do this nowadays , My vet used to do 24 hours but have now joined up with all the others vets and you have to use the vets at the PDSA place . Luckily Ive not need there services :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Ive heard mixed reports , mainly on K9 .

Obviously cursed by the title. Bean's in need of an emergency vet. He's bunged up again. Poor fella can't pee. Just waiting for my vets to get back to me. He's out of a call. :(

Why do these things happen on a Sunday. :rant:

JAX said:
Yes , it seems alot of Vets do this nowadays , My vet used to do 24 hours but have now joined up with all the others vets and you have to use the vets at the PDSA place . Luckily Ive not need there services  :luck:   :luck:   :luck:   :luck:

Ive heard mixed reports , mainly on K9 .

Vets Now operate out of the PDSA in Hull.

Sorry to hear that bee jay . hope hes ok

Bean's okay at the moment thanks Jax.

He's been to the vets and has had the vet equivalent of being dyna-rodded. :b

They back flushed him, and pushed a catheter up inside him and the blockage moved in the end thank god. However it is likely that the stuff that made the blockage is still there and so once the urine tests have come back he'll be on a special diet for the rest of his life.

I'm hoping that he doesn't re block before the results come back. Hoping that it's simply crystals again.

one of the resonas i picked our vet is cos he lives on premases and allways takes emergancey calls when ever you phone and dosent charge stupped prises for iot aswell.

I have taken foster dogs to that pet medics as the rescues use them they seam neather use nor orniment. every dog iv taken there as been sadated till the normal vet opens and they you have to collect the dog. I wont be useing it for my own dogs.

Hope Bean is feeling better soon :huggles:

BeeJay said:
Bean's okay at the moment thanks Jax.
He's been to the vets and has had the vet equivalent of being dyna-rodded.    :b

They back flushed him, and pushed a catheter up inside him and the blockage moved in the end thank god.  However it is likely that the stuff that made the blockage is still there and so once the urine tests have come back he'll be on a special diet for the rest of his life.

I'm hoping that he doesn't re block before the results come back.  Hoping that it's simply crystals again.

Hallo Beejay

Excuse me butting in here... but something I have used with success (not specifically for Bean's problem - I used it for my bitch with UTI, but if you read up on it you will see why I think it would be worth a shot).

http://www.hyperdrug.com/prodinfo.asp?number=METHIGEL

Unfortunately 'Methionine' which was made by Vetsearch is no longer made... but the Methigel is good and well worth discussing with your vet.

Hope Bean is feeling better today.

Thank you Kirawan. I'll speak to my vets about it. :thumbsup:

At the moment it's a bit of a worry because the crystals which caused the blockage were pushed back into the bladder (I think) so they are still there and can block him up again.

Poor Bean, hope he's better soon :huggles: :luck:

Do you know what causes him to 'block up' or is it just one of those things?

The vets don't know what causes it Sarah. It's v unusual in dogs. Seems to affect lazy animals more than active ones. In cats (more common) some people think that it's caused by feeding dried cat food but others say that it's not. Males are more likely to become blocked up because they have longer lengths of narrow tubes. Females are more likely to show up the problem by getting cystitis.

It's something to do with the way that an animal processes it's food. But the vets don't know why it affects some animals but not others.

Once they've decided what kind of crystals they are - they can be alkaline or acid - then he can go on an appropriate diet. For example the Hills SD diet will break down crystals but they can't stay on it long term as it's not balanced. So then he'd go on CD for the rest of his life.

Or I might talk to Edward (vet) about a different approach.

One thing though Bean was blocked up but there wasn't much in the way of crystaline deposits in his urine which was odd.

:luck: :luck: to Bean :huggles: Glad he was unblocked okay

Beejay is his uring very acidic or alkaline?

>Beejay is his urine very acidic or alkaline?

They don't know yet. They have found some crystals but are waiting for Mark (vet) to test them to find out what they are made of. Last time they sent off the urine to a lab and it took a while for the results to come back.

Until they know then they can't give him any treatment beyond getting him to drink lots of water. A least they've found crystals. And he's peeing still. :)

Remind me not to trust what a receptionist says in future. :(

When the vet looked at the 'crystals' all he found was debris no crystals. He is of the opinion that if bladder stones were present then there would be crystals as well and there isn't.

When I asked about the tests last year he told me that what they had found then was inconclusive and that the tri phosphates found then weren't in particularly abnormal levels. So...........................

There is no point in his opinion in changing Bean's diet. Just got to get him to drink more and take another urine test tomorrow or Thursday and see if that shows up anything else. It looks most likely that this has been caused by an infection.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back