The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Emotional over epilepsy

Cash_Dolly

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So cash's epilepsy really isn't bad in comparison to many other dogs but he has a very small seizure on our walk tonight and I am just so upset for him. He loves life and it doesn't affect him but makes me so sad. He is currently cuddled into me and I am fighting tears. I don't think it helps that I feel I have tried to warn his breeder, plus another breeder who continues to (regularly) breed from his brother AND the kennel club and no one is even acknowledging me I am just being ignored while they continue to breed bloodlines containing epilepsy...how can people just not care...whew rant over xx

So sorry to hear this :(

If it helps, we are told that dogs know nothing about seizures. We, with our knowledge, worry about health issues but, thankfully, dogs do not have this knowledge. While we cannot be certain, it is most likely that he just feels a little spaced out after his seizure. He then gets on with his life and does not concern himself with his health. So worrying for you though.

Don't get me started on breeders! I have even written to my MP about them. There needs to be some way that they are held accountable for the "product" that they are producing. If every breeder that bred a "faulty" puppy could be liable for its on going health care, or be required to give a full refund plus compensation then, I am sure, all the puppy farms and irresponsible breeders would stop breeding over night.

It must, surely, be possible to have a better system of finding the good breeders that are out there. The Kennel Club Assured Breeder Scheme is useless as it is just a registration exercise. They do not investigate the hereditary side of the breeding lines.

I keep telling myself that he doesn't know what's happening and he bounces back so well but it's horrible to watch

The fact that he is epileptic makes no difference to me I love him more than anything and will provide anything he needs but I was advised to let his breeder know and anyone breeding from his relatives as it can be hereditary and I am just getting ignored. I expect nothing from them and have made it clear but they won't even acknowledge it and his brother has sired pups that are for sale on guntree and facebook right now...I feel like I keep going on and on about it but it just seems wrong and irresponsible.

Anyway Mr Cash is happy and that's the main thing for me. And now I am broody for another whippet too haha

Sorry to hear about Mr Cash. Sending virtual hugs to you both (and Miss Dolly)!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back