The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Enter shop with dog in the backpack

casper26

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Dear fellow members,
I have a Jack Russell Terry, 2 years old, 5kg. To share my love, I put her photo here also.

7uDXImU.jpg

dK2lld1.jpg

6pXr2nB.jpg

I walk her 5 miles everyday and we always passing by a lot of shops. I see this as a perfect opportunity to grab some groceries and food, but almost all shops have guide dog only policy.

Considering my dog is small 5kg, I wonder if I buy this backpack, would I be ok to enter the shops?

Dog-Space-Capsule-Backpack-Breathable-Dog-Bag-Transparent-Backpack-Carriage-for-Pets-New-Pet-Space-Pack.jpg_960x960.jpg

Smiling-Dog-In-Backpack-Greets-Netizen-At-MRT-Station-The-Perfect-Perk-Me-Up-For-The-Week-Ahead-1024x512.jpg

Terry is lovely:)

I think it would depend on the individual shop. Plenty of shops round here have a 'guide dogs only' sign but still allow dogs in. The Post Office even keep in a supply of dog biscuits for them! Grocery shops are likely to be stricter, because if someone sees you bring in your little girl in a hygienic backpack they might complain that they can't bring in their slobbery muddy Great Dane on foot - but the best thing to do would be to ask the manager in the individual shop.

I'd also be a bit concerned about people coming up behind you and putting their face up close to the 'window', which might freak out Terry - you wouldn't be able to see them, or her reactions.

I have to agree with JudyN, it is down to the discretion of each shop. Our local one also lets dogs in, they get to sit on the mat just inside the door and have biscuits while owner shops, they all seem to know the drill! As yours is small, you could just carry her if you're just popping in quick maybe or have a cloth shoulder bag you could pop her in, that's what I used with my old yorkies.

I'd be worried about other people getting in her face as well. So if you do go for this option, I'd say think about blocking the view.

She looks a real cutie.

When I worked in a shop (newsagent/post office) we had a tiled floor and often had dog owners pop in. Some tied their dogs up outside but the occasional one would carry their's in. I used to say it was never a problem....I'd rather have well behaved dogs coming in than some of the schoolkids who would shoplift left, right & centre if you didn't keep a beady eye on them! ;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back