The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Entertaining Dog

Traceym81

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
First post so hi all.
We have had our gorgeous rescue dog for a couple of months now but she just seems bored and only wants to engage by being fussed/stroked.

I have been working from home and she just cannot understand why I won’t / can’t cuddle her and then cries and starts licking walls and carpets.

She is taken for a walk first thing in the morning with my husband where she is off the lead and playing with other dogs. I then take her out for a walk on the lead around 12 and then she goes back out with my husband for a walk / play around 5. Aside from these times we try to play but if you do fetch she will get the item then run and hide with it then lose intestest and come back for cuddles. She doesn’t like plastic toys but destroys teddies within minutes pulling out the stuffing. Have tried a Kong but she wasn’t keen because it’s plastic / rubber and doesn’t like big bone / dentastix if you give them to her she cries buries them and never goes back for them.

Any suggestions grateful as she just seems fed up when not being engaged with and it’s not always possible.
Sorry that is a long first post.

Some dogs don't have a natural "off" switch and have to be trained to settle. I'll attach a video that should help.

In addition, things like stuffed Kongs (especially frozen ones) are great for keeping dogs occupied for a while [oops - re-read your post, she doesn't like them - sorry. Snuffle mat maybe?]. And, do you use any brain training? Physical exercise doesn't always tire a dog - you can end up with a super-fit athlete that as a human, you just cannot keep up with to tire her. So brain training (scentwork, tricks and training) can be much more effective than trying to tire her physically. Kikopup, who made the video attached, has lots more on YouTube if you need some ideas.

Last edited:
Some dogs don't have a natural "off" switch and have to be trained to settle. I'll attach a video that should help.

In addition, things like stuffed Kongs (especially frozen ones) are great for keeping dogs occupied for a while [oops - re-read your post, she doesn't like them - sorry. Snuffle mat maybe?]. And, do you use any brain training? Physical exercise doesn't always tire a dog - you can end up with a super-fit athlete that as a human, you just cannot keep up with to tire her. So brain training (scentwork, tricks and training) can be much more effective than trying to tire her physically. Kikopup, who made the video attached, has lots more on YouTube if you need some ideas.

Thank you for the response. We do tricks / braining training with her but she doesn’t like any treats we have brought packets of them we were using chicken but that seemed to upset her stomach. So the reward is being stroked and fussed but then she won’t move to do what you want her to do as she is happy. I will take a look at the video on YouTube thanks

I wonder if rather than being bored, she is actually quite anxious, and is looking for reassurance. Do you know much of her history before she was rescued?

What do you feed her? If she's happy with her food, she might also be happy with that as treats. You could even reduce her meals slightly so that she's motivated to use some food-dispensing toy such as the snuffle mat JoanneF suggested. Also consider a bone - chewing and licking are anxiety-relieving so that might help her relax.

I would also treat this as possibly being a form of separation anxiety. Make yourself 'unavailable' for short periods of time - if she pesters you, then leave the room. Any time she's happy and relaxed on her own, throw her a treat (if you can find one she likes) or praise her and give her some fuss. But if she is anxious, you don't want to 'abandon' her (i.e. not respond to her) for long at a time as you don't want to increase her anxiety.

An Adaptil pheromone diffuser/spray might also help her relax.

I wonder if rather than being bored, she is actually quite anxious, and is looking for reassurance. Do you know much of her history before she was rescued?

What do you feed her? If she's happy with her food, she might also be happy with that as treats. You could even reduce her meals slightly so that she's motivated to use some food-dispensing toy such as the snuffle mat JoanneF suggested. Also consider a bone - chewing and licking are anxiety-relieving so that might help her relax.

I would also treat this as possibly being a form of separation anxiety. Make yourself 'unavailable' for short periods of time - if she pesters you, then leave the room. Any time she's happy and relaxed on her own, throw her a treat (if you can find one she likes) or praise her and give her some fuss. But if she is anxious, you don't want to 'abandon' her (i.e. not respond to her) for long at a time as you don't want to increase her anxiety.

An Adaptil pheromone diffuser/spray might also help her relax.

Thank you for reply. I have tried using her kibble but she just isn’t interested. When we leave the house she is fine ... well I think so never crying or barking it’s just if your in the room and not paying her attention.
Her background is she was a street dog so even though she is about 1 a lot of her traits are that of a puppy. She is super loving and gentle. Think I will have to invest in some more toys and see if she likes them. All the plastic and rubber ones she has now she just circles and then lays down staring at them nervously. She is so good I just want her to be happy too.

As a street dog she never had toys so these things are foreign to her. Benny our beagle had never played and he never really learned.
When Oscar first arrived he just wanted to lay on the sofa next to me with his head in my lap although once he had his strength back he played all the time.
Remy was my velcro dog he sat on or near me always even coming to the loo with me.
Sometimes they need time to adjust rather than a 'normal' life being thrust onto them. its okay if the dont accept things straight away they will get there.

Try to just accept the good and work on the less desirable little by little. At this moment you are obviously the most important thing in her life and she prefers you over any toy.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back