The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Entire and In Season!

Wotho

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
As anyone experienced living with a male dog 'entire' with a female puppy when she has her first 'Season'?

Is it impossible, bonkers or manageable?

240_F_116697371_0MzXch9EXqE2vxHvDMkVUjQLxdPWlpJb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely  bonkers but manageable with great care !!

I somehow sensed that would be the case ....

Just holding a 1000/1 chance that someone would say:  "easy peasy"!!

Do remember, if you decide to risk it, that the female will be just as keen to get to the male when she in her "receptive" phase. There have been cases of dogs managing to mate through the bars of a cage! Never underestimate the power of hormones :)

I would also think of the frustration they will both feel if living together but unable to "get together" :(

Could either of them go for a little holiday with a relative?

Hi gypsysmum2,

I fully understand and agree with this.  Wish we had a country retreat, where I could go for three weeks!  Just hoping we can manage the situation without too much distress.  We will hold on tight.

I have lived with this situation many times and it’s not easy. Everyone in the house has to be on board , If you have children in the house forget it. They don’t close flaming doors behind them!

One of the more trying possibilities is that the male dog may howl- all the time. They also often stop eating completely.

I would not recommend trying to do it in a regular domestic setting as it’s just too stressful for everyone, dogs and people.

Unless you have an exceptional dog or bitch It’s probably not worth the hassle

If one of them could stay with a friend or relative for the duration that would be the best option.

I echo the "children" bit! Happened to us with a friend's in season dog ("she's finished" they said!) that was staying with us. We still kept her apart from our entire dog until daughter left the door open!!!

I would never do it again.

We once had an entire dog (he belonged to our daughter) but when her job and accommodation fell apart she and the dog came home !!

Luckily we were a mature household and no small children!! But OMG what a nightmare, there was always either one of the two dogs that had to either spend time in a crate  (which I think is so wrong !) or make sure there was always a barrier between the boy and the girl, there were sometimes for our own sanity that he was sent to kennels just for us to have a break!. (he was quiet happy about kennels and always came home with a wagging tail)

All of our girls were, and still are entire and so was he.  Neutering was NEVER an option !!

We managed this for probably 6 to 7 years, our (adult) daughter got herself another job but the dog had to stay with us.    PHEW !!

RIP old man, we still miss you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello dogmatize, gypsysmum2, and excuseme,

I am grateful for your comments from your experiences.  There are no children.  

Fully appreciate what you say.  

We will hold on tight and hope we can ride out the storm!

tightrope.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back