The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Epileptic four year old

JemimaGoldie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I really wanted to ask if anyone else has had a similar problem and what the outcome was. My Golden Retriever is only four. Last year she started having fits; she had a spinal tap and an MRI to see if there was a reason and there isn't. Gradually, they went from one a month to a cluster of three or four; the vet prescribed phenobarbitone but then the seizures came in clusters once a week. After the last lot, the vet gave her additional medication, Libromide, and she hasn't had a seizure since. But, she has put on a massive amount of weight and vet says it is the medication that is causing it. She is now with the weight clinic on special food and has lost 2 kg in the last fortnight, but her legs have got weak and she is having a problem getting to her feet. She will also try to walk through a door and walk into the door instead; it's as though she is tipsy. She isn't; I don't keep alcohol in the house! She has to lose 20 kg but right now she can't get into the car unless I lift her back end in and I am 76 with a bad back! I am finding it all so upsetting and I am fed up with people thinking she is an old dog. I really hoped for some reassurance; has anyone else had a similar problem?

I am afraid to take her out in case she gets stuck and can't get back. Some years ago, I had to get the fire brigade to get my Newfoundland out of the river because it was a sheer drop and he couldn't get out; I would rather not have to call them again! Thanks for any advice.

Oh my goodness, poor girl. And thats a lot of weight to lose. I don't really have much to suggest, if you need to increase her exercise but are oncerned about not being able to get her home (if she can't walk back from where you get to) would you consider a doggie treadmill?

I would consider one, but I don't think I can afford one! I can't walk myself so I take her out with me on my mobility scooter; usually we go to a park where she can be off lead, but as I said, getting her in the car is a nightmare. I am waiting to hear back from the hydrotherapy centre as swimming will help with the exercise and the insurance company will pay for it. It is just such a worry and I thought I would see if anyone else had similar problems. Thanks for your reply.

Would she use a ramp to get in and out of the car, if you bought one? I don't think they're too expensive.

I'm so sorry to hear about your girl. My then 4.5 year old dog started having seizures about 2 years ago. Apart from a low blood sugar level all his tests came back clear, and considering he was only having one seizure each month, my vet decided not to put him on medication. Instead, she recommended a high quality CBD Oil plus a Paleo diet.

It seems to have worked, at least for him, because, touch wood, he hasn't had a seizure since last September.

Would she use a ramp to get in and out of the car, if you bought one? I don't think they're too expensive.

I'm so sorry to hear about your girl. My then 4.5 year old dog started having seizures about 2 years ago. Apart from a low blood sugar level all his tests came back clear, and considering he was only having one seizure each month, my vet decided not to put him on medication. Instead, she recommended a high quality CBD Oil plus a Paleo diet.

It seems to have worked, at least for him, because, touch wood, he hasn't had a seizure since last September.
Thanks for replying. I have thought about a ramp, but she is only four and I think once I get some weight off her, she will be back to jumping in again. She is only four and getting a ramp at this age seems to be giving up somehow. Also, she sits on the back seat, so not sure how a ramp would work. If things don't improve, I will certainly get one. I think I suggested CBD oil but vet wasn't keen. I will ask her again. She is with the weight clinic, doggie weight watchers, and is on Royal Canin Satiety which I am told is excellent for weight loss. My daughter is a veterinary nurse and she recommended it too before I saw my own vet nurse (my daughter lives in Australia) and she seems to like it.

The blood test results came back yesterday and vet has reduced the meds by half a tablet each, so I am hoping that will help a bit with her legs and her weight.

I don't think using a ramp for the time being is any different to using crutches when you've broken your leg - it certainly isn't giving in, and will actually protect her joints in the long run. My dog travelled on the back seat and when his joints started going I used a ramp - we would align it along the side of the car, supported on a low stool, as you can't always guarantee having the space to position it perpendicular to the car.

I do hope her health improves soon.

Thanks for replying. I have thought about a ramp, but she is only four and I think once I get some weight off her, she will be back to jumping in again. She is only four and getting a ramp at this age seems to be giving up somehow. Also, she sits on the back seat, so not sure how a ramp would work. If things don't improve, I will certainly get one. I think I suggested CBD oil but vet wasn't keen. I will ask her again. She is with the weight clinic, doggie weight watchers, and is on Royal Canin Satiety which I am told is excellent for weight loss. My daughter is a veterinary nurse and she recommended it too before I saw my own vet nurse (my daughter lives in Australia) and she seems to like it.

The blood test results came back yesterday and vet has reduced the meds by half a tablet each, so I am hoping that will help a bit with her legs and her weight.

A friend of mine uses a ramp to get his two dogs into/out of the boot of his car. Both dogs are young but the boot is too high for them to jump in or out and they're both too heavy for him to pick up.

If you do try CBD Oil make sure it's a high quality.

Thank you for all the replies. The crutches analogy makes sense! Certainly I have nearly broken my back trying to get her back half into the car this morning. I did try a little stool, but she just kicked it out of the way. She looks so fed up with herself, it's breaking my heart.

Apologies for straying off topic for just a moment but @mynortiboys do I recognise a certain pair of mini schnauzers?

A friend of mine uses a ramp to get his two dogs into/out of the boot of his car. Both dogs are young but the boot is too high for them to jump in or out and they're both too heavy for him to pick up.

If you do try CBD Oil make sure it's a high quality.
You saying that reminds me that I always had a ramp for one of my Newfoundlands. Thanks.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back