The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Excessive barking when left alone

Helen1234

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I don't know where to start with this. We have a 16 year old papillon Gizmo who, until he developed incontinence some months ago slept on our bed. My husband works nights and in the past Gizmo was more than happy to sleep on the bed next to my husband during the day. Now because of his incontinence he sleeps in a dog pen at night which works well for everyone. The trouble is he still wants to sleep next to my husband during the day and has started to play up when he gets pit in his pen. He barks and makes a noise and won't let my husband get any rest. At weekends it's not too much of an issue because Gizmo can stay downstairs with me but it's causing a lot of problems during the week. We tried leaving him downstairs with the radio on but he made more noise than ever. I can't take him to work with me. I've looked into dog sitters but places or people who are willing to look after an elderly incontinent dog are few and far between in my area. Can an elderly dog be trained to stop barking when left alone? The only information I've found on the Internet is for young pups. My poor husband is exhausted and I'm worried that there's an accident waiting to happen if it goes on much longer.

I can see why he will be confused and upset at not being able to sleep on the bed but I honestly think he is too old to train not to bark. Has he seen a vet? There are medications that can help with incontinence. Then, there are dog nappies. Or maybe a plastic bed with vetbed material (which allows urine to soak through so he has a dry surface to lie on) on top of your bed so he can sleep in it but still next to your husband?

It must be tough for him at 16 to suddenly have his routine changed and not be allowed to sleep by your husband :-( I think I may bark also!

However, I know it also must be hard with an incontinant dog! Could you get some form of dog diaper (if there’s such a thing!) that he can wear just while with your husband?

I agree with dog diapers or urilin for dogs is amazing ...ask your vets if they think it will help ...at his age he must be feeling distressed xx

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back