The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Eye problem

K

Kara 1

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Tom my JRT
X mini EBT has always suffered with red eye on his white side since we adopted him 5 yrs ago ..it usually starts end of sept and with a daily piriton and viscotears it goes after several weeks. ..this time it hasnt despit several trips to the vets and 2 lots of antibiotic eye drops( human ones )and a course of steriod tablet(Also human )his eye was actually looking worst ...
So i finished the steriod tablets and put him back onto piriton and goldeneye ointment 2x daily and 2 diluted salt water eye bathing ...results his eye has cleared up. ..
The vet was even talking about £800 allergy tests for this :eek::eek:....i have really lost faith in vets now ....

Liam has a problem with his eyes they can look very red and weepy at times he has had a few lots of antibiotics from the vet which never really helped.
I have found daily drops of artificial tears has done the trick and if they do look sore a few days of golden eye does the trick

The vet was even talking about £800 allergy tests for this :eek::eek:....i have really lost faith in vets now ....

I too, do not have much trust in a lot of vets, so many of them seem to just keep you coming back for more treatment (filling up their pockets) and not actually fixing the problem!

We have a lovely vet that we discovered about 30 years ago, he uses both conventional and homeopathic treatments and is a very practical and knowledgeable person, caring first, about his patients. He is also a raw feeder himself.

I always keep a supply of (Carbomer gel) a human equivalent to Viscotears. This was recommended by our vet many years ago as it was very much cheaper than Viscotears at the time. Having read your post, I have just remembered to purchase some more from Amazon, 10 x 10g tubes for £9.95 and free delivery. It is such a useful product, my husband uses it for his dry eyes and they are so good for the dogs eyes when they scratch them while out working, (I always keep a tube in my pocket) saving visits to the vet and vet bills.
Amazon, (Medicom Healthcare) "Carbomer Gel", 10 x 10g £9.95

Last edited:
Vets are diagnosticians. They look at symptoms and test results and try to work out a possible diagnosis. But, sometimes, things that don’t quite fit traditional illness, disease, whatever can be perplexing for them, and the symptoms get treated rather than the cause. I found this out, years ago, with a horse that was getting treated for arthritis in the hocks, atypical laminitis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Luckily, she was insured at the time, as this was costing a lot of money. I noticed she had lots of strange symptoms like vertigo if she went under anything, her back leg slid if she went downhill, her tongue seemed too big for her mouth, and if you lifted her front leg, she pointed the toe of her diagonal hind one. She abscesses in three feet over the piece. I pointed all this out to her vets, but they weren’t interested. Managed to track down a nutritionist, thanks to Hilton Herbs (no internet in these days), and she said it sounded like magnesium deficiency (which I’ve since found out can be caused by high potassium/nitrate levels, in the grass). Vitamin/mineral supplementation, careful management and shifting to a different livery yard sorted out the cause.

Just ordered from amazon ...i pay £5 for one tube so a great saving ...
I bought the golden eye ointment online as i couldnt find a pharmacist that sold it ...

Liam has a problem with his eyes they can look very red and weepy at times he has had a few lots of antibiotics from the vet which never really helped.
I have found daily drops of artificial tears has done the trick and if they do look sore a few days of golden eye does the trick
Can i ask which artificial eye drops you use please ...

The Carbomer Gel works better for my husband than the eye drops from the doctor. The gel remains on the surface of the eye for longer and does not run straight out!

I've always used the gel so maybe I'll stick with that...seems to have always worked

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back