The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fatty lump ...what would you do ...

Discussion in 'Dog Health' started by Tinytom, May 20, 2021.

1. Tinytom

Tinytom Well-Known Member Registered

20210520_163346.jpg Tilly is a lurcher and 12 yrs old in November. ..she is in good health apart from a little muscle wasteage in her hind legs and a fatty lump on her side ...we noticed it about 4 years ago ..it was the size of a large pea ...in the past year it has trebled in size its about 1"x 1.5 " it doesnt cause her any problems and can be moved on examination. ..
    I took her to the vets last week to have it checked as hubby is worried it has got bigger ....she would like to operate and remove it ....my dilemma is the anaesthetic. ...she is an older dog and although the vet says her heart is strong she does get raspy after her offlead walk/run .....
    I would never forgive myself if she didnt make it through the op ...and then i think if it is more than a fatty lump (cancer) disturbing it could cause spreading of the disease. ....
    My auntie had a lump in her breast for years was told it was a fatty lump ...was convinced to have it removed and it turned out to be cancerous and she died within 6 months ...the oncologist then told us if they hadnt removed it the lump would have stayed contained and she would not have died so soon ..........:(
    Hubby is worried it will get bigger over time and then be inoperable but i think let her have a good quality of life and worry about that if it happened ....what would you do ...suggestions gratefully received xxx

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  2. excuseme

excuseme Well-Known Member Registered

At her age I would be tempted to leave it alone and let her enjoy life without cutting her about and creating possibly more problems.
    Of course your vet would like to remove it. Hmmm:rolleyes:

Flobo, Finsky, Hemlock and 2 others like this.
  3. Hemlock

Hemlock Well-Known Member Registered

I may have said this in another post - if so, apologies for repetition.

I would leave it. In fact I have a 12 year old dog who is lumpy as well. My vet and I agree to leave them be, on the basis that if they are cancerous (which hers very probably are) fiddling with them, even aspirating for tests, may well accelerate their progress, and if they aren't, it doesn't matter. He sees a lot more of this than I do. Also, as she is a lurcher, any anaesthesia is a big risk.

We also made this decision with our last terrier, who had quality life for three years after the lumps first appeared.

Flobo, Finsky and Tinytom like this.
  4. Tinytom

Thanks for your replies ..i have told the vet we will not be going ahead with an operation to remove the lump :)..:)

Dibbythedog and Flobo like this.
  5. Ash2021

Ash2021 Member Registered

Think you have made the right decision - at 12 years old I wouldn’t be putting my dog through an op like that x x

6. RGC

RGC Active Member Registered

Tinytom, I would concur with previous responses. If the lump isn’t affecting the happy quality of her advanced life, why disturb her?

Tinytom likes this.
  7. Tinytom

I noticed Tillys fatty lump has nearly dissappeared......

RGC likes this.
  8. RGC

RGC Active Member Registered

Amazing. How is she in herself? Do you have a photo to compare with the one of 21st May? Great news.

9. Tinytom

Apparently the vet says it can happen ..will upload a pic later ...so glad we didn't operate xx

10. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

That's such good news:)

11. excuseme

excuseme Well-Known Member Registered

Lucky you and Tilly, unlucky vet!:rolleyes:

:)

Tinytom likes this.
  12. Hemlock

Hemlock Well-Known Member Registered

Great news - made my day!

Tinytom likes this.
  13. Tinytom

Collage 2021-06-22 15_43_00.jpg

14. Tinytom

You can see there is still a small lumpy bit but it is certainly half the size it was :)

15. Tinytom

She is absolutely fine. .the lump has never bothered her it was my hubby who was worried ....what if it got bigger or she knocked it....

16. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

I had no idea they could just shrink like that. Jasper has a couple of lumps, but this thread has made me feel better about my decision not to get them checked, as with the distancing rules, the vet just having a feel would be tricky.