The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Feeding advice please

st1ngo

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

I have a gorgeous 10 week old Jack Shis

He is doing fine but I am not sure best feeding regime

The breeder was leaving dry food for him to help himself to whenever he wanted

That seems a bit hit and miss to be and would rather get him on regular meal times

Any advice as to what food

how much and how often gratefully received

Thank you

IMG_0193.JPG

Hi there!

3 meals a day every day until he is around 7 months ish and then reduce to 2 meals per day.

The food you have will always have a guide line on how much to feed your puppy due to size breed etc.

Always weigh the food don't guess and you will do just fine :)

Never leave one meal for it to eat through out the day this is not right and pleae do not take offence to what I'm about to say but if your breeder gave you that advice then they are not very experienced and don't know what they are talking about

3 meals per day breakfast lunchtime and dinner and you will be sorted :)

Sophie xxx

I agree with Sophie, though often the 'guidelines' don't match what is actually needed, so I use them as a guide, but then also let my eye guide me. Young pups should be a little on the roly poly side as they are growing and need that extra weight. Once they get to the older pup stages, then they should start to look more like the adult versions of themselves. So I find myself regularly adjusting their food week to week by looking at them and deciding if they need a bit more or a bit less.

Free feeding 'can' be done, but it leads to bad habits and sometimes finicky eaters, so you are better to have set feeding times so that you know what they are eating.

And yes, 3 times a day for a few months.

Thank you

I have started him on wet food and its much better

3 times a day sounds perfect

He also gets his treats during the day so I think he will be happy !

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back