The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Feeding Advice

Bridge

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi Guys,

Im new to this site but hoping to get some help!

We have a 8 month old Choc Lab/Dalmation with a wheat allergy, hence she is quite skinny. Now we know what upsetrs her tummy we need to try to get her to gain some weight!

I have read that TRIPE may be good, so i bought some frozen. But.....what do i do with it? Cook? Raw ? Mix ? How much?

Any advice would be appreciated or any other ideas!

Ta,

Bridge x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bridge, Welcome to k9 :D

James Wellbeloved is a complete dry food that is quite expensive but its excellent quality.

Its 'Hypoallergenic' and contains no wheat, beef or dairy products which can cause allergies.

They believe in making the food with good, wholesome products and also add various herbs and vitamins.

We have always fed our 2 dogs on it and they are in great condition.

Visit their webpage on www.wellbeloved.com.

Hope this helps

Lisa :cheers:

HI Bridge,welcome to k9 :thumbsup:

Always feed tripe raw.To balance the diet,use a natural biscuit (Laughing dog) & plenty of veggies,either very lightly cooked or put through a juicer.Supplement wise give half a kelp tablet & wheatgerm oil. You could also give 1 or 2 chicken wings a day.

On this diet your dog should soon put weight on & also look the picture of health :thumbsup:

ps,My Izzy has a wheat allergy,but it's ok giving her wheatgerm oil.

Hello Bridge, welcome to K9!

There's some general feeding info, and lots advice about natural and raw diets in the FAQ section :thumbsup:

Have a browse when you've got time: FAQ - feeding

Hope your dog is better soon - would love to see some pictures when she's put her weight back on :wub:

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Alfyn,

sorry to be thick but when you saw 'raw' tripe, do i understnad it that i take it from feezer, let thaw, then put straight in feeding bowl.

Any ideas approx how much without weighting ie: 1 coffee mug full?

B.

:b

Bridge said:
Thanks for the advice so far guys.
Alfyn,

sorry to be thick but when you saw 'raw' tripe, do i understnad it that i take it from feezer, let thaw, then put straight in feeding bowl.
Yep,thaw & feed :thumbsup:

Debs, does it smell when it's raw? I've always been put off by the reek of cooked tripe :x

If it's good quality tripe & hasn't had sheep paunch mixed in with it,it doesn't smell bad,nothing like the stink you get from a can of butchers tripe :x

I can't understand why anyone would want to cook tripe for their dogs,the smell is as nauseating as you can get (w00t) :x :x :x

alfyn said:
I can't understand why anyone would want to cook tripe for their dogs,the smell is as nauseating as you can get (w00t)   :x   :x   :x
:x exactly! :x

Once smelled, never forgotten :lol:

~Helen~ said:
alfyn said:
I can't understand why anyone would want to cook tripe for their dogs,the smell is as nauseating as you can get (w00t)   :x   :x   :x

:x exactly! :x

Once smelled, never forgotten :lol:

Your darnt right there :lol: :oops: :x :x Mind you Im not too keen on the smell raw either :x - I have to put it in the bowl at arms length. :wacko:

Sorry to be thick :- " but does tripe actchully have any 'goodness' in it? I always thought it was just fed because dogs just love it so much :b :wacko:

How do you find out that your dog has a wheat allergy?

Usually they start scratching & chewing at themselves.If Izzy has a wheat biscuit,she will get "hot spots" & start nibbling at them.

alfyn said:
Yes,tripe has loads of goodness in it,that's why dogs do so well on it.Here's a link from the States that will give you a bit more info.http://www.ask.co.uk/redir?qsrc=2004&q=tri...eentripe.com%2f

Just looked Debs, Very interesting :thumbsup: I feed complete food at the minute but would consider changing. Worried about getting all the ratios and that right though :wacko: Do you just feed according to what you think or do you give set measurements of food? :thumbsup:

whippynit said:
Just looked Debs, Very interesting :thumbsup:   I feed complete food at the minute but would consider changing. Worried about getting all the ratios and that right though :wacko: Do you just feed according to what you think or do you give set measurements of food? :thumbsup:
I've never measured my dog's feeds,i suppose over the years,i've just developed an "eye" for knowing how much they need.They might have a bit more on one day,& less on another if they're looking a bit podgy.....a bit like me really :blink:

alfyn said:
HI Bridge,welcome to k9 :thumbsup: Always feed tripe raw.To balance the diet,use a natural biscuit (Laughing dog) & plenty of veggies,either very lightly cooked or put through a juicer.Supplement wise give half a kelp tablet & wheatgerm oil. You could also give 1 or 2 chicken wings a day.

On this diet your dog should soon put weight on & also look the picture of health :thumbsup:

ps,My Izzy has a wheat allergy,but it's ok giving her wheatgerm oil.

Sorry for asking Debbs but How did you know that Izzy had a wheat allergy? - was she not responding to foods with wheat in it - or was she actually ill. :unsure:

and also where do you get the Wheatgerm oil from please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back