The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Feeding amount help

Jade Cooper

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, I'm hoping somebody can help me figure out the rough amount I should be feeding my puppy. I think iv overthought it and confused myself!!!
So her current weight is 4kg, she is a basset hound x beagle and will be on average around 15kg as an adult. She is currently 10 weeks old
I am feeding her AVA medium breed dry puppy food, and I'm worried I'm under or even over feeding.

On the package, it says for a dog aged between 3-6 month that will weigh between 10kg- 20kg as an adult you should feed anywhere between 180g - 335g a day. Based on her states can you tell me what you would feed her.

Thank

Hi, I'm hoping somebody can help me figure out the rough amount I should be feeding my puppy. I think iv overthought it and confused myself!!!
So her current weight is 4kg, she is a basset hound x beagle and will be on average around 15kg as an adult. She is currently 10 weeks old
I am feeding her AVA medium breed dry puppy food, and I'm worried I'm under or even over feeding.

On the package, it says for a dog aged between 3-6 month that will weigh between 10kg- 20kg as an adult you should feed anywhere between 180g - 335g a day. Based on her states can you tell me what you would feed her.

Thank

hi Jade
I feed my cocker puppy this too and got into a pickle to start with. Im fairly sure this is common. I’m not an expert but I went for down the middle and then split into 3 feeds - we feed 3 lots of 65g (originally tried 75g x3 but was too much) and top it up with puppy milk, small spoon of natural yogurt or cream cheese, half hard boiled egg or couple of a slices of banana. Not all in same meal or day - usually one of the meal breakfast or dinner just to encourage her.
I also let her have treats ( training and snuffle mat and crunchy carrots for teething Any excess food goes in the KONG
Not sure if this helps but my puppy seems fine.

hi Jade
I feed my cocker puppy this too and got into a pickle to start with. Im fairly sure this is common. I’m not an expert but I went for down the middle and then split into 3 feeds - we feed 3 lots of 65g (originally tried 75g x3 but was too much) and top it up with puppy milk, small spoon of natural yogurt or cream cheese, half hard boiled egg or couple of a slices of banana. Not all in same meal or day - usually one of the meal breakfast or dinner just to encourage her.
I also let her have treats ( training and snuffle mat and crunchy carrots for teething Any excess food goes in the KONG
Not sure if this helps but my puppy seems fine.

wow what a selection - how old is your pup? Mine is nearly 5 months

my cocker gets her kibble, 3 meals a day - 1/2 goes as what we call free food (in the bowl) then the other 1/2 goes in a treat ball or flying saucer and she has to work to get the food.

treats are her kibble for training (this will change to liver cake, cooked chicken or cheese all cut small like the kibble, as she hits the teenage stage for recall )
Frozen carrot portion in the morning and sometimes one in the afternoon
She gets a Kong with 2 gravy bones in once a day when she is crated

To the original poster - I would use the middle amount and see how you go with that, every dog is different and the guide on the packet is just that a guide

We started our pup on the same kibble the breeder had him on (Step Up To Naturals). We then found the AllAboutDogFood.co.uk comparison site and decided to change him to a raw diet - Natural Instinct Puppy plus extras like duck necks and chicken wings. We soon noticed changes: better coat, breath, teeth and poos that don't smell. You may want to look into raw diets; that website has a feeding amounts calculator as well as a costs one.

We feed all of our Cockers on Raw diets. Changes can be amazing and very quickly.

Puppies can start from 2.5 to 3 weeks on raw mince, different meat types are very easy to introduce with no tummy upsets. And raw bones of all types from 5 weeks.
Oldies go on for ages, full of energy and ready for the next days outing.
As mentioned, better coats, no bad breath, healthy clean teeth and the tiny firm poos with almost no smell.
We have fed raw for 40 years ish. These days it is much easier to purchase and clean to use.

Same here. In the days when I bred a litter every few years, I weaned my pups straight on to raw.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back