The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Feeding and exercise.

Jjohnd

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Looking on line this morning, I read an article that stated that a dog should be fed before exercise as a twisted gut can be the result of feeding first. We feed and don't go for walks until two hours minimum have passed. Are we right or wrong or is the two hour period ok? I eagerly look forward to the replies.

If I remember rightly, the figures I've seen that err on the side of safety specify not exercising for 1.5 hours after feeding, and not feeding for 1 hour after exercise. So your 2-hour gap is fine.

Actual evidence to back up these figures is scanty, but it makes sense that it's not a good idea to run around with a full tum, and that digestion might be affected if you eat straight after an exciting energetic walk.

Thanks very much for that. We are fairly sure that the Rescue Centre assured us that a two hour gap would suffice.

I think there are other factors too. Breed can make a difference, but largely the type of walk is significant. A gentle, on lead, sniffy mooch about is fine; a brisk or fast walk isn't.

Definitely a concerns for us with a deep chested breed. I agree with the approach of not feeding before and after exercise. In real life it doesn't always work, so when it doesn't - we walk on leash rather than letting the boy run free.

In nature, wild life will have a strenuous chase to catch and kill it's prey, and then eat it straight away, thereafter rest and sleep. !!

In nature, wild life will have a strenuous chase to catch and kill it's prey, and then eat it straight away, thereafter rest and sleep. !!
Umm.....yes that is the 'idea'...though I do try that my little ones do not go for their walks/run with totally empty tums..or they run out of energy and then they start puking. Nor our 'wild ones' have realized that after eating they should rest and digest...OH NO...their way if thinking is 'yayyy...energy...lets play more and rough!' Or perharps they are not wild enough to understand the rules!?….

Help please! This post may be strange to you but how do I start a new topic. I cannot see anywhere Thursdays 'Start a new topic'.

Help please! This post may be strange to you but how do I start a new topic. I cannot see anywhere Thursdays 'Start a new topic'.
Go to the category you want to post in (general, health, training etc) and at the top you should see a 'start new thread' button.

Sorry Joanne, if it is a button, can you roughly describe it? Sorry to be a pain, I just cannot see it.

Go to a category such as General Dog Forum, and it will be in red, above the threads in the categories. I would post a screenshot but the forum finds my photos too big unfortunately.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back