The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ferreting Today

mally

Mallyfieldwhippets.com
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I took Lakey for a days ferreting today on a small 4 acre grass field,We took Tess with us :good: .

If was a nice frosty morning perfect ferreting weather.

site001.jpg

I've only had Tess just over a week and she's been out with me everyday so far not doing too much may i add but she's picking things up and is starting to listen to me. Lakey has a soft spot for her :grin:

There is still alot of cover about, the nettles are still quite keen on your hands.

site003.jpg

site004.jpg

Tess behaved really well and kept out of the way whilst the ferrets were working we got 4 out of the above warren.

site005.jpg

We got another 2 out of the next warren, We then tried one of Lakey's young Jills in a little 2 holer after 5 minutes she bolted one :clapping: Lakey was really pleased :good:

We did another small warren and got another.

The bag upto Lunchtime was 7

We then decided to do a bankside, its' actually quite alot steaper than the photo shows.

site008.jpg

We netted up and entered the ferrets i stood in the cow field at the bottom of the bank with Tess, A rabbit bolted and slipped the net, Tess was quickly on it's tail she ran it 30 yds turned it but unfortunately she missed it, However she was marking the hole it had gone down and it took Lakey ages to get her to leave it. :yahoo:

We waited another 20 minutes before we got our locator box out, Lakey found a mark at 4' so i dug down and pulled a rabbit out. We waited another 5 minutes for the other ferret to emerge.

We netted the next full hedge and Tess looked like she was marking a warren in her own way :grin:

site011.jpg

We started at the bottom end on a nice little set we put 2 of lakey's Jills in after 5 minutes they bolted 2 but one was staying put, Lakey went to do another little set further on with my ferrets, while i waited for his to stop so i could get a mark on it with the locator. Whilst i was waiting one bolted out of the warren that lakey was doing and was back netted in the warren i was at :good: . The noise of this caused the ferret to come out, so i boxed it up as time wasn't on our side.

site009.jpg

We ended the day with 11 rabbits and 2 to run another day.

It was a fantastic day for Tess she learned so much, Roll on tomorrow as Myself and oldblueeye have some more ferreting to do.

End of day pics

site012.jpg

site013.jpg

Lets go home !!!!

site015.jpg

More ferreting posts on www.thewhippetforum.com

Last edited by a moderator:
nice 1 mate :thumbsup: nothing better than a frosty morning out with the ferrets :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back