The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Finding reputable breeders

Sweetbebs82

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

This is my first post so here goes!

We have made the decision that it is time for us to get another dog after we lost our Cavalier King Charles in 2020.

We have decided we would like a crossbreed Malshi (Maltese x Shih Tzu) or Malshipoo (Maltese x Shih Tzu x Toy Poodle). But I don’t know where to start.

I am very concerned about puppy farms and unlicensed breeders and want to find a genuine breeder but I have no idea how or where to find them.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

Hello and welcome.

Can I start by saying it is very, very difficult to find ethical cross-breeders. People who breed ethically carry out extensive and sometimes quite invasive tests on their dogs to make sure they are only breeding from the best, to make sure they aren't passing on inheritable conditions, and to overall improve the breed. So, having done that, they are far more likely to mate with another dog of the same breed and quality.

Also, a licensed breeder needs a license because they produce a certain number of litters each year - that's actually not a good thing.

Another point is that crossing the silky coat of a Maltese with the curly coat of a Poodle could give you a grooming nightmare.

I'll put a link below on how to avoid puppy farms but can I ask what it is that attracts you to the crosses rather than a pure Maltese, Shih Tzu or Poodle?

Puppy Farming

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back