The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

First advice.

Snoops27

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello folks, I'm not quite the owner of a new puppy as she is only 4 weeks old and still with her mother and sisters (the whole litter was girls). I'd like to ask if, when we pick her up, I should put her in a travel carrier immediately for the journey home, or should I carry her on my lap to ensure she feels safe. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot so what would you advise. Thanks. Oh btw, she is going to be called Milli.

Well, I'm a bit of a health and safety freak so I would say carrier. But if it's a short journey and you feel she would be comforted on your knee, please sit in the back as the major risk to a dog in that scenario is the airbag deploying. If they were on your knee in the front the risk is far greater than if they were in the back.

Welcome @Snoops27 :)

I don’t think one trip will make any big step backs for her. The main thing is to speak to her and make her feel secure.

We look forward to seeing some pictures!

Good luck collecting her!

Well, I'm a bit of a health and safety freak so I would say carrier. But if it's a short journey and you feel she would be comforted on your knee, please sit in the back as the major risk to a dog in that scenario is the airbag deploying. If they were on your knee in the front the risk is far greater than if they were in the back.
Thanks Joanne, that makes sense. I think a compromise of, Milli in carrier with me sitting next to her on the rear seat. Sound about right?

Welcome @Snoops27 :)

I don’t think one trip will make any big step backs for her. The main thing is to speak to her and make her feel secure.

We look forward to seeing some pictures!

Good luck collecting her!
Thanks Josie, I think I'll compromise and have her in a carrier with me on the back seat reassuring her. I don't drive as I'm disabled, so that should work fine. Photos will be posted asap. Milli is a Shih Tzu X Lhasa Apso.

The compromise you’ve suggested sounds good.
When we collected Misty at 8 weeks old I sat in the back with her for the 45 min car ride home. She curled up on my lap and fell asleep within a couple of minutes and stayed like that all the way. I held her tight and quietly talked to her. I don’t know if that had any bearing with the way she is now, but 3 years later I am still the only person that she has/will curl up on or with (even though she definitely isn’t the size of a lap dog!).
Good luck :rolleyes:

When we collected Jasper at 7 weeks he sat on my lap in the back seat and cried, whined, howled and scrabbled the whole 5-hour drive home. Even his breeder said we should have turned round and brought him straight back again!

The compromise you’ve suggested sounds good.
When we collected Misty at 8 weeks old I sat in the back with her for the 45 min car ride home. She curled up on my lap and fell asleep within a couple of minutes and stayed like that all the way. I held her tight and quietly talked to her. I don’t know if that had any bearing with the way she is now, but 3 years later I am still the only person that she has/will curl up on or with (even though she definitely isn’t the size of a lap dog!).
Good luck :rolleyes:
I'd hate for Milli to only bond with me but it sounds like a good way to build trust. Thanks Sezzy. :)

When we collected Jasper at 7 weeks he sat on my lap in the back seat and cried, whined, howled and scrabbled the whole 5-hour drive home. Even his breeder said we should have turned round and brought him straight back again!
That sounds terrible. I hope everything turned out for the best. Luckily it will only be a 15 minute drive for us, so even if she's not happy she won't be suffering for long. Even as an oap I'm getting quite excited at the thought of having some young blood around the house. We haven't told our grandchildren about her so they will be getting a huge surprise when we get her. I'm like a big kid. Yippee.

Good luck @Snoops27 - I’m sure the grandchildren’s face will be a picture when they see her!

That sounds terrible. I hope everything turned out for the best.

Thanks Snoops:) Let's just say he wasn't the easiest of pups, but I love him to bits! What breed are you getting?

Thanks Snoops:) Let's just say he wasn't the easiest of pups, but I love him to bits! What breed are you getting?
Hi Judy, she's a Shih Tzu X Lhasa Apso. There were only 5 in the litter and one sadly didn't make it. All the rest were bitches and luckily we wanted a girl and we were 4th to put our name down, so we only just managed to get one. Although we haven't seen her yet we've been told that she is all black (although the owner says she may change in colour as she grows) and as of now she has white socks with black spots on them. It sounds super and tbh I'd rather she didn't change but obviously we have no control over that. We'll just have to wait and see.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back