The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

First chicken wing!

JoanneF

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Excuseme and Cash Dolly, prepare to be impressed - I just plucked (sorry, bad pun) up the courage to give Timber his first chicken wing! That said, I have to admit to being a bit of a wuss and cutting out the bone so I have basically just given him some raw chicken ... But I didn't want him charging off into the garden unsupervised and I have a feeling he would have been reluctant to give it up once he'd started. When the weather here gets above 6 degrees I will hold one end - Mr F insists raw treats will not be indoor fare, and I would completely get that had it even touched the sides as he snarfed it down - the risk of floor contamination is therefore absolute zero!

My dogs love wings and legs ..but i have to confess i just throw some in a bowl and they munch them down ..i did panic once when my youngster got into the fridge and ate 5 kilo of legs in one setting .and most of the plastic wrap..i had stupidly left her 'asleep' while i went for a bath lololol

OMG i had a panic attack thinking she would get bunged up , her bowels would pop she would die ..i cannot tell you how much i panicked but other than refusing breakfast she was fine

Hmm!! A chicken wing without the bone in ( that's what I call "cheating") !! Give it a go with the bone in you will be fine. :)

lol..i agree ..the bone is the best bit ..the look of pure pleasure as they are munching it ..

I know guys

I just want to make sure I am holding it the first time as it's quite unlike anything he has had before (and I'm an anxious mummy lol). So because it has to be outside so as not to offend Mr F's delicate sensibilities, and because it's been freeeeezing here today, I admit I did cheat (hangs head in shame). Next time! Promise!

OK, we will watch this space!!!!!

Well done you! It's a start. My two love a wing and I agree their little faces light up when they are crunching the bone...I was worried my first time but now I don't think twice I just throw them in their bowl (then usually have to clean the floor afterwards)

Ok. Now I am quite ashamed and embarrassed. Mr F and I went out for supper and tonight's treat was medium rare steak leftovers (Mr f's, I had beef stroganoff - not suitable for pups). But he did have half a carrot too!

Do you mean Mr F had the raw carrot!

Having a giggle here!

Any more wings yet ? (on the bone) !

Yes, we did it! He had half of one because he is just little but it was bone and all. I did have a moment of concern when he got an upper tooth caught through some sinewy stuff (so it was round the tooth like a polo mint) but whenever he gets himself into trouble with anything he usually just looks at me for help so we solved it before it was a problem. I will be keeping hold of one end until i know he has the hang of it though. But it was a very satisfying crunchy noise.

However - he definitely favours one side of his mouth to crunch on - it's just a preference, I am the same - so next challenge is getting him to use the other side so his teeth get cleaned there too. I brush his teeth every night, it would be great to relax that so any tips are welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, well done! Happy birthday!!

I find that lamb rib bones last a lot longer and a lot more time is used changing the bones from side to side in their mouths, they are not any where as hard as beef ribs and are very good for teeth too. A bit bigger so they can not just crunch and swallow! another good one for teeth is a lamb shoulder blade, again they last a long time but most can be eaten in time.

I also tend to chew on one side of my mouth too.

Enjoy and have fun eating your bones.

Mine all had lamb ribs with their dinner...they love them and last much longer than chicken wings!

Hi everyone just joined and seen your post.

Our 4 love chicken wings, but love carcuses better lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back