The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

First time bath

Michele83

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi - sorry if this has been answered before.

I was wondering what age people gave their puppy its first bath? It would be especially helpful to know if you have a short-haired dog (I have a whippet). I have heard 12 weeks but I don't know if that's just an arbitrary number from the internet. I've been taking Piccolo to the bathroom/bath every day (without actually giving her a bath) to get her used to it. She's 11 weeks.

Thanks

Harri was about 13/14 weeks and had one because he needed one! I don't know what he had done to himself but he just reeked. He wasn't much keen but I was careful to make the experience as positive for him as possible.

The best method I've found with Harri is to put the bath plug in and use the shower attachment to wash him with warmish/tepid water. The water rises slowly around him and he doesn't realise what's happening! I always leave his head and face to the very end when the rest of him has been shampooed and rinsed.

Be prepared for mega zoomies afterwards......

I've never bathed my lurcher and never felt the need - he doesn't smell, and thankfully he doesn't roll in stinky stuff. Personally I think it's better to bath dogs only if/when necessary.

If you do want to be able to bath her, I'd start by standing her in an empty bath and make it rewarding by giving her treats, then very gradually introduce water.

The breeder had given all the puppies bath a day before collecting Misty, so that was only at 8 weeks old. We’d had her a couple of months I suppose before we gave her one. We just do as and when she starts smelling. I find it easier to get in the bath and have a bit of fun with her as it kills my back leaning over the bath, also it gives me a lovely glossy coat LOL :D

We gave all the puppies a bath before going to their new homes. this was at 7 weeks.

Thanks all. Seems like there are wildly differing ways of doing things as always :)

I've been taking her into the bathroom, then into the bathroom with the water running, then into the dry bath, then into the bath with the water slightly running, etc etc, in small increments over the last 3 weeks.

Rolo got his first bath at 8weeks before i picked him up, I'll probably not bath him again until hes nearly a year (unless he rolls in something stinky) my boys get 1 or 2 showers a year being honest mine dont really get dirty its just something i choose to do :)

my Akita pup was the last of a litter of 8, & had been left behind by the person who put a deposit down, & refused to answer their phone, once the litter was born.
their loss was my gain, but she had been living in an I/O kennel run with her dam & 7 sibs for over 2-mos; before i took her to the car, I bathed her in the utility tub in the kennel building. :) She wasn't thrilled, but she took it well, & i made it as low-key & easy as i could.

For the rest of her life, as she was a therapy pet, she was bathed on average every week to 10-days, sometimes 2-weeks apart, but B4 any therapy visit, dogs are required to get full baths, brushed teeth, ears cleaned, wash between paw-pads, etc.
By the time she was 7 or 8-MO, she would clamber into the bathtub herself, which saved me a lot of lifting! :p

My advice is to be sure to use a NON-SKID bathmat with suction cups to give the dog good traction, which is very reassuring to them, vs ask them to stand on a slippery wet surface. :eek: Also, water shouldn't be quite as warm as humans would like it - not cold, of course not!, but "warm" vs steamy. U don't want the bath-water to overheat the dog, & make them pant.
Stress may already be making their hearts race & breathing quicken, so tepid to warm is better, as a temp-range.

If U cup the dog's chin with one hand, they can't shake all the soap off B4 U get it skin-deep. // Be sure to rinse VERY well, until the hair squeaks when pulled lightly between pads of thumb & index finger. The water running off should be sparking clear, not the least bit sudsy. ;)

- terry

Hello,

Good question! I've been thinking about this myself. the info out there is vast.
I would like to give my 9 wk old pup a bath but i've become so confused with the info!

then there is info on drying. Guess it's good to do it whilst it's warm to help with drying.

Something else related is which shampoo??!! puppy shampoo, flea shampoo?
Geez, I thought there was a lot of choice when I picked my shampoo, but the dog bath is a whole other world.

You can use puppy shampoo, you can use your own bath/shower. I always recommend towel drying dogs as a hair dryer can burn the puppies skin. If you really are confused watch a YouTube video on how to wash a puppy -

even if yer pup [or dog] HAS fleas, I would never use flea-shampoo.
It's overkill, as anything that breaks the surface-tension of water will allow fleas to drown, & all flea-shampoos are extremely harsh. Flea-shampoo has zero lasting repellent or killing effect, & it contains toxins.
Just use an ordinary mild shampoo, & be sure to rinse very well, after - U don't want any residue on the skin or coat.

If U worry about fleas, AS A 1st STEP, COLLAR the dog with lather, all the way to their skin, around their neck; that prevents the little barstewards from running to high ground, & leaping off the dog's head to safety. ;)
Then bathe their body, legs, & tail, & finally, wash the dog's head with a hand-held washcloth, gently, being careful to get none in eyes or ears; rinse the head & face with the cloth, & last of all, hose the suds collar off the dog's neck, all the way round, being sure to rinse well under the chin & behind ears.
U're done! :)

I don't bathe dogs outside with a hosepipe; it's too cold. I bathe them indoors, year-round, with warm to tepid water, in the tub or shower, using a hand-held spray attachment on the tap.

- terry

When our lot get a shower they only have comfortably warm water with no shampoo.
Puppy or adult the same. All dirt is washed away without any of the natural greases, their coats remain shiny and clean.

I gave my dog a bath when he was 8 or 9 weeks old. With Bob Martin puppy shampoo. He's now 6 months old and had a professional groom and 2 baths at home since then. I just do it if he needs one.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back