The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

First week update

Dogsarethebest

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I can hardly believe Dexter has been part of our family for almost a week (a week Sunday).
No accidents in the house. Sleeps in the crate at night. Goes to bed about 10pm and gets up at around 5am. How I do not know, but I am not complaining.
He is eating very well and drinking plenty.
He could careless who is outside or what is going on. Went on a car ride. He is not car sick and slept just about the whole time.
He does try to grab the leash in his mouth during potty time. I wouldn't mind so much if he just held it. But he shakes it and growls after he does this I scoot down to his level put my fingers on each side of the leash and say let go.( I Never pull it out. ) Some times he will other times I may have to wait 30 seconds and he gets side tracked and let's go. At this time. I stay still with leash and if he tries again I say no firmly and he stops and we immediately go back inside. He hasn't been doing it as much today so hopefully he is learning no outside play if he does that.
If you have any other solutions, please share. I sometimes will grab a squeaker toy when we go out and if he grabs ahold of leash I give him the squeaker. Not sure if that is rewarding or redirecting .
It's just normal puppy stuff and redirecting is working well. He is a quick learner. So it doesn't take much to get him to know stuff. His recall is about 90%of the time he comes when we say come and when we say sit it is about a 65% success right now. He loves hiding toys and finding them. Including hiding the cats toys in his bed then covering them and once in a while he will be nice and put them back just to repeat. LoL

Thanks for reading this long update.

What a wonderful update! Great job, you all!

What a little gem he is :)

Re the lead biting, my instinct would be to distract him by offering him an alternative or a treat, and separately teaching a 'drop' rather than 'correcting' him. At his age it's more about managing him so 'bad habits' don't become ingrained. I wouldn't worry about 'rewarding' the behaviour - he has to stop the behaviour to take the reward.

We need more photos!

Right, I have been working on drop. Not successful at all. His attention span for drop is nil at the moment. I think I will keep distracting him with a squeaker toy. Seems to work. Going to keep one with his leash so no forgetting when we go outside. Treats are a bit and miss with him. Sometimes he will work for one and other times not. But it's all normal puppy stuff and he's only been here a week.

I will be posting more photos soon.

It's when they hit the delinquent stage is when you see if the hard as paid off.

I am not expecting miracles but am expecting a well mannered Chihuahua.

He has not chewed on the leash all day but he does have his "baby" that I use for a distraction if I think he is headed in that mindset. So it is working. Which I am grateful for.
You guys are awesome and I greatly appreciate the help you all give.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back