The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Flatulence

RGC

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I’ve asked this question before and received helpful answers however…..
Mabel’s on a raw diet - Cotswold Raw. It’s mainly in the evenings when she’s settled on the sofa that she’ll let one fly with its unique pungency. I have been giving her charcoal biscuits but this time they don’t seem to have any effect.
Apart from charcoal biscuits she’s also had fennel seeds sprinkled on her food. There’s nothing else ailing her. She had her six monthly check up at the vet this morning and they thought that she was the epitome of a perfect whippet at seven years old (last week). Anyway back to the main reason for this post - does anyone have tried and successfully tested solutions for this issue?
IMG_1423.jpeg

Is that why you've shut her in the conservatory? :D

Have you tried working out whether it's a particular variety of her food? I'd be thinking of giving just one protein source for a while, then introducing others - ideally, without any 'extras'. I can see that Cotswold Raw includes eggs - hen eggs really made Jasper's wind stink, so I just gave him quail eggs. Though I can't say it fitted with his image...

I just gave him quail eggs. Though I can't say it fitted with his image...

:D:D:DThat made me chuckle!:D
The only other thing I found that helped was wearing clothing that you can pull up over your nose at the appropriate time until said smell dissipates...a tried and tested method, when all else has failed!:rolleyes::p:D:D:D

I think some dogs like us humans suffer with stinky bums ...ours too stink in the evening and they are on raw :D:Dwe just put up with it....better Out than in :D:D:D:p:p:p

Ours too are on a raw diet.
They get household scraps (nothing edible is thrown away in our house) all peelings are peeled over a rubber backed mat in the kitchen and the only other thing they may get to eat when we are feeling generous is a good handful of Millies Wolfheart scattered on the concrete outside. I can say that the only time any have bad wind or smelly burps, is when one of them may have stolen some fatty waste out of our weekly bucket of waste from the butcher! Otherwise no nasty smells :rolleyes:
I think that between myself and husband we can make up for our smell free doggies and out do them any day.:oops:

Last edited:
With Timber, it's chicken that does it. I swear he'll set of the smoke alarms one day.

Thank you to everyone who had something to say - everything appreciated plus the humour. Will examine her foodstuffs scrupulously. Ow going to watch “Dog Academy” until my Dignitas vibe kicks in. No, stuff it, I’ve got Latin homework to prepare. valete, omnes.

Is that why you've shut her in the conservatory? :D

Have you tried working out whether it's a particular variety of her food? I'd be thinking of giving just one protein source for a while, then introducing others - ideally, without any 'extras'. I can see that Cotswold Raw includes eggs - hen eggs really made Jasper's wind stink, so I just gave him quail eggs. Though I can't say it fitted with his image...
JudyN, thank you. I’ve searched Cotswold Raw and can’t find any reference to eggs - chicken, yes. Mabel loves the conservatory but she’s sensible enough to come into the drawing room when it gets to regulo 12.

JudyN, thank you. I’ve searched Cotswold Raw and can’t find any reference to eggs - chicken, yes.

It probably depends on the specific product, but I was squinting at the labels here: 80/20 Active Chicken & Turkey Mince - 8 x 1kg Packs | Cotswold RAW - they list 'fresh seasonal vegetables, herbs and eggs'. Though funnily enough I can't find a mention anywhere on their website. I'm sure they will only be very small amounts though.

Thank you, JudyN. Funnily enough I took delivery of 8 x 1kg active mixed mince packs yesterday. They’re in the outside freezer in the garage. Will have a look tomorrow. A propos nothing, had a run through of some numbers last eve for a gig in June. Got home at 23.40. Definitely too old for this lark. Sorry, everyone.

Pippa has bouts of smelly wind, usually after certain treats of the Jumbone variety and picking up the little treats Rabbits drop!
A box of matches is always at hand in the evening, strike a match let it flare then extinguish with a shake, the smoke from it will kill the smell.

Thank you for all contributions. JudyN, I did look at the contents list on the back of a pack and it does mention eggs without detailing the proportional percentage. I haven’t had any charcoal biscuits to give her over the past few days and yet the flatulence hasn’t been as extreme - hasn’t made the slightest impact on the Richter Scale.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back