The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Foods for anal gland problems

Freya13

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello.

I have a very healthy half pug/ quarter Chihuahua/quarter jack Russell female who is 4 & a half. She has been suffering from Anal gland issues and I have taken her to the vet twice and they have been infected so she has had 2 courses on antibiotics and her glands have been expressed once. I don't want to keep having her glands expressed as I don't want them to be damaged but I can't seem to get rid of the problem and the smell. She is constantly licking her bum and doing that awful sucking sound, and the occasional scooting. I want to change her diet to something with high fibre. Does anyone have any suggestions/had similar problems and are there any foods you can suggest? I was told to put crumbled wheatabix on top of her dinner for the fibre content but have read online to avoid any commercial food with any type of grain in it. I usually feed a mix of wet and dry.

I would really appreciate any suggestions as I really want to get to the bottom of this without having her glands expressed.

Thanks,

If her poo's are too soft the anal glands will not be expressed properly.
Try using raw chicken wings, the bone content will create very firm poo's and this will help express the anal glands.
Feed a wing every second day, (supermarket ones are fine, also Natures Menu from the pet store sell wings) do not cook it and leave any skin and fat on it too. This is 100% safe to feed and a very natural product for our canine creatures. You will have to make adjustments to her daily food rations as the whole wings are very nutritious.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back