The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Foot and Mouth

DOUG SMITH

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
The following is a brief summary of the present situation as far as the WCRA is concerned.

1.  All affiliated clubs have been asked to stop club racing until the present outbreak is contained and MAFF lift movement restrictions.  We are very grateful to all clubs for following this advice.

2.  The following Opens have been cancelled or re-scheduled:  East Anglia & Independant.  At this time NO OTHER Opens or events within the jurisdiction of the WCRA have been cancelled.  The decision on whether to cancel or go ahead is a matter for clubs and it is they who will inform racers of their decisions.  The WCRA will try to assist with the circulation of information via letters and phone calls to Secretaries.

When the situation changes and it is considered safe to re-commence racing the WCRA will contact all clubs immediately.

The Whippet Club AGM and Championship Show have been cancelled.  The Secretary of the Whippet Club is in the process of getting this information out to all people who are expected to be attending.  He will also inform all members of the Whippet Club of the re-scheduled dates.  This information will be published in Dog World and Our Dogs.

If you have any queries on the above please do not hesitate to contact the Secretary of the WCRA, Doug Smith  01253 860021  E_Mail romla@smith466.freeserve.co.uk

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your post outlining the WCRA position.

However, there are a couple of points that need clarification as I am a bit confused :confused:

Quot from your post -The decision on whether to cancel or go ahead is a matter for clubs and it is they who will inform racers of their decisions.  
This seems to contradict your letter sent to club secretaries, to quote - "We earnestly consider that it would be an act of extreme irresponsibility for any club to stage a race meeting in the present circumstances and although we are sure this will not happen we would have to give serious consideration to the future affiliation of any club which does not follow these guidelines"

So is the WCRA leaving the decision to clubs or not?

Obviously no one wants to do anything that is likely to spread the disease, but at the end of the day, aren't the MAFF and local authorities local to the area where any club runs going to be in a better position to give advice to clubs?

Your letter to clubs also said "If the spread of the disease... might be traced to the movement of a dog then that dog and any others it has been in contact with could be destroyed". That statement has been commented on by a Maff vet who stated that it was not the case.

Rumour is rife that the WCRA is going to confiscate the passport of any dogs racing at a meeting before the WCRA says it is safe to do so. Can you confirm that that is just rumour?

Hopefully you can clear up some of the confusion that seems to abound re F&M and the WCRA attitude.

Nigel

Firstly may I say that the attitude of the WCRA in light of the Foot and Mouth problem is to try and support the farming community in what must be for them an absolutely devasting time by trying to ensure that we in racing do nothing which might spread the disease.

The decision whether to race or not remains the responsibility of individual clubs as the WCRA has no jurisdiction in that respect.  We are pleased to note that every club within the affiliation has suspended racing and for this we are extremely grateful.  Whilst we are positive that all clubs will continue to act in this responsible way we would reserve the right to consider the affiliation of any club which started racing before the all clear was given by MAFF.  This would not be an arbitary decision as we would give careful consideration to all facts before taking such as serious decision.

To conclude the decision remains with the clubs but we are hopeful and indeed confident that all clubs will take into consideration our guidelines before taking their decisions.

The statement on the destruction of dogs was given to me when I spoke to a member of MAFF seeking advice on whether we should race or not.  Obviously it is in contradiction to the comment by the MAFF vet you quote.  I personnally will err on the side of caution but this is a matter for individual owners to decide.

The rumour is nothing more than that.

Finally can I say that either the Chairman or myself have spoken personnally to 15 of the 16 affiliated club Secretaries twice in the last 10days to explain our position and received almost universal support for our actions.

Please rest assured that we do not wish to appear to be acting in a heavy handed manner but rather offering guidelines to clubs to hopefully protect and promote the good name of pedigree Whipet racing and support the farming community in these very trying times

Thanks for trying to clarify things a bit Doug.   :) The WCRA letter, although you say well meant, has caused bad feeling towards the WCRA from many people.  I have not been near a race track recently, but have heard many comments about "that letter".  I have read it myself and feel that it would have been well received had you omitted the second and third paragraphs.  All clubs are acting responsibly.  Surely it would have been better to talk to any club that had breached the WCRA guidelines, rather than issue threats to all clubs.   :angry:   As far as I am aware, most clubs have taken advice from local Council or MAFF when making their decisions on whether to run.  It would seem a better way to deal with it rather than through the WCRA, as every area differs from another.  I can't believe that any club would go against advice from the WCRA if it was just that "advice".  The threats are just not the way to handle the situation.

Doug,                                                                                I have just read your comments with regard to the current foot and mouth situation, and while I fully understand the need to act responsibly and minimize any chance of spreading the disease, I do feel that stopping all whippet racing is an unnecessary measure.  Have you considered the amount of sporting events that are still taking place?  Horse racing is back on in most places.  I'm sure that all horse trainers are based in rural areas, consider the amount of vehicles needed to transport the horses, riders, trainers etc to each race meeting.  In addition there are all of the spectators (several hundred at least at each event).  Do these not pose a greater risk of spreading foot and mouth than a handful of whippet racers in a sports field?  

I notice football matches are also still on schedule, e.g. Manchester United, who get 60,000 people at a home game.  These people travel from all over the country, usually by car, all congregate in the one confined space for a few hours, and then set off back home again.  Surely whippet racing does not represent any greater risk of spreading the disease than this.

Have you not considered placing a disinfected mat at the entrance to the racing field for vehicles to drive through, as is happening on infected farms at the current time?  Dogs and owners could also walk through this, therefore taking the necessary precautions to prevent spreading the disease.

Looking further ahead to the racing season, please can you confirm how many opens will be jeopardised by the WCRA's current restrictions?

As you know, your committee has taken the decision to hold two of the four 2001 Championships in locations that involve longer than average journeys for the majority.  A lot of people cannot consider making a return journey within one day. People need to start thinking about booking accommodation etc, to be able to attend these events.

Perhaps if scheduled opens or championship meetings are considered to be in 'unsafe' areas, could they not be held at alternative 'safe' venues.  The sooner these issues are considered, the better.  I'm sure nobody would like to see championship meetings cancelled when they could be rearranged elsewhere?  Its unfortunate for the Northern and Cornish clubs I know, as this year would probably have been their first and last chance at the Champs being held on their grounds considering the response to your questionnaire regarding venues.

I am not trying to criticise the WCRA, I just want to point out that it is possible for us to keep racing if we exercise a little bit of throught and common sense.

(Edited by Robin Sweet at 11:17 pm on Mar. 13, 2001)

Hi All

i've already made my comments on the letter to Doug so I wont go into those but I would like to know what constituits an inconvieniant location as stated by Robin?

anyone from the Northern who wish to take part in opens or champs face at least a 2-3 hour drive so most open locations could be considerd by our members to be in inconvieniant locations?

I am working nights on Mon, Tues, Weds so the first opportunity I will have to reply to you all during my free internet access time will be Thursday evening.  You can get me on the phone between 10am and 4pm on any of these days if you wish to discuss anything urgently

Hi Doug

Having read and re-read both your posts on this board and your letter to club secretaries I have noticed several references to guidelines and yet am still confused as to what they are.

On the one hand you seem to be saying that clubs cannot race until given the all clear by MAFF but on the other hand you seem to be saying that the WCRA is the higher authority and it is they who will give the all clear. Which is it?

Clubs are perfectly capable of taking advice from MAFF themselves and should be allowed to make their own decisions without threat of disaffiliation, (is that a word?) or anything else for that matter, from the WCRA.

MAFF are making it very easy to get advice and information from them at the moment. Here are just three ways for those interested. Phone 0845 0504141 between 8am and 11pm or 0645 335577 between 9am and 5pm or email http://inf.maff.gov.ukhelpline@inf.maff.gov.uk or visit their web site www.maff.gov.uk

You may be interested to know that MAFF state on their web site that dogs are not prevented from being moved although they have to be under "proper control" when in an infected area.

I think the reason that so many people are so cross is that you state that all clubs are not racing and how pleased you are that they are acting responsibly and yet you still feel it necessary to issue threats.

Lets look at how the Kennel Club have handled the situation. They have issued the following statement (as printed in Dog World March 9) :

In view of the outbreak of foot and mouth disease, the Kennel Club is aware that some societies may decide to cancel forthcoming events. Therefore, societies are advised of the following guidelines:

Licensed events

1. The decision as to whether to postpone/cancel a licensed event must be made by the society committee. It is advised that this decision is made following consultation with the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, the local authority, local vets and the venue proprietors, as appropriate.

Other guidelines follow concerning informing judges, licensing fees etc. which are irrelevant here.

Do you see how much nicer this is? They have allowed societies to make their own decisions and treated their committees as intelligent and responsible people whilst still achieving the same result (i.e. that MAFF, local authorities etc. should be consulted) and they haven't made any threats whatsoever.

Me after reading the Kennel Club statement :biggrin: - Me after reading the WCRA statement :angry:

I too am confused about the WCRA's position concerning racing.  I found the implied "threat" in the letter to club secretaries very worrying.  Surely clubs can make their own minds up without being threatened from above.  Doug Smiths post doesn't really make things any clearer.  What does anyone else think?

Does anyone in pedi-land know whats going on?

As I mentioned in my Non pedi post before unless we are told otherwise it seems we are carrying on as normal.I would have thought it was a case of common sense, if you race near farmers fields which contain livestock, then cancel the racing, If you race nowhere near livestock then show some respect put down some hay with disinfectant , Virkon if you can get it if not ask youre vet what he would recommend and have some buckets with the same disinfectant in for dogs feet and boots/shoes. It may appear that this disease may be around for quite a while, and even if we were all model citizens and didnt walk our dogs, leave the house or travel anywhere we still cannot control this disease as it is airborne.

Hi All

Like Mark, I've already made my comments to Doug- but I would like to take issue with a couple of comments made.

Firstly, I do not beleave it is at all practcal/Advisable to walk Whippets trhough disinfectant baths, unlike horses, dogs lick their feet-the disinfectant can cause burning both on the feet and in the mouth ect of dogs and personaly I would not do this with my dogs.

Secondly- I take strong issue with Robin's reference to the Northern & Cornwall being inconvieniant locations. The WCRA covers the UK-and the UK includes Scotland & Wales-for me Moreton in the Marsh, Gloucester and the independant are all "Inconvienient" locations. Every time I go to an Open I hear someone complaining about the long journey they've had to make-usually about 2-3 hours. Five Hours is a short journey for me, and over a year Donald and I travel over 30,000 miles to Opens & Champs. we get up at 2am, and spend weekends away in a caravanin a field, and in the winter there is no rest either-we course, (yes again in England) starting at 2-3am and returning home muddy & tired after a long wet cold day in the field around 10pm with dogs to bath and make comfortable. I'm sure there are members like us in Cornwall and Wales and other far flung corners of the UK who accept that becouse of where we live we need to travel, we dont complain about the distance or the cost- we do it becouse we love the dogs & racing and the social get together and our dogs from 8 week become seasoned travelers.

So if the Northern(3 hours away by car & 4 by van) our local Champs is cancelled we shall be very sorry, but we are planning to be at Cornwall-(it will probably take us two daysto get there with van & caravan- but we are looking forward and working overtime to pay for it) so my thanks go the WCRA for remembering its far flung members and giving us a chance to compeate without having to haul our dogs half way across the country.

Looking forward to seeing you all again this year

June

I feel like I have won the lottery just being able to join the forum its taken me 3 goes to get it right thick or what.  Does any one know how long after the last confirmed case of foot and mouth will clubs in restricted area be able to begin racing. I have read that Country parks, bridle ways etc. have to remain closed for thirty days after the last confirmed out break.  If this is the case this will certainly curtail the Open season have the WCRA considered extending the finishing date until the end of November there by giving clubs a little more lea way to rearrange postponed opens.

Doug

Whilst you're in replying mode on Thursday night, perhaps you might like to give us your comments on "NEWS FROM THE WCRA" in Whippet News, which states that you are looking for volunteers to drive the van and equipment to the Championships this year, and that two volunteers from the Northern had already moved it up ready for the 1st Champs. The Northern were told that it was a condition of the clubs holding the Champs this year, that their members must take the equipment up.  There was an offer from a non Northern member to bring it, and he was told that he must not, and that it must be a Northern member.  It is no secret that some of the WCRA committee are not happy that the 1st Champs are scheduled for the Northern.  What is the ruling on the movement of the equipment?  Have the Northern been blackmailed?

Although I am still a member of the Northern, I now live in Hereford and will have to travel to the Champs, but I and the Northern members still feel strongly that they should be able to host the 1st Championships of this year. After all, the members have bent over backwards in order to please the WCRA.  If it is cancelled due to the foot and mouth problem, will it be rescheduled at the Northern?  After all the equipment is there ready and waiting.

Hi June

As I understood it from a conversation I had.

ALL clubs who are to hold a Champs are expected to supply drivers to collect the van from the previouse location. Stephen and myself where only to happy to collect the van so that things went well for our club holding the champs. unfortunaly due to the foot and mouth it seems that we wont get to hold it after all this year. it would be nice if it could be resceduled for later this year but becouse of the full open calender I dont see that happening. I dont think it would be fare to take it away from one of the other clubs so that we could host it, as I should think Cornwall ect feel the same as we do about being given the chance to host a Champs and I would not like to think we had stopped them from having the pleasure of holding one.

all at the Northern see it as a once in a lifetime thing that we all would be proud of.

I'm hopeing that should we lose this Champs due to the foot & mouth (being no fault of our own) that we are considerd to hold a champs in the near future, (ie=next year)

I did speak to someone who said they had offerd to deliver the van but that they where told it was upto the host club to have it moved.

I have spoken to Doug several times lately and regardless of my own views on letters ect.

he is after all only telling us what the WCRA decide so should we realy shoot the messenger?

Hi Mark

I think there's a big difference between shooting the messenger and asking questions. Doug did offer to answer any queries at the bottom of his first post so I don't think he will mind answering them for us (in fact he seems quite willing to) though I think he meant about F&M.

Hi June

I think i'll have to change my pic if I carry on like this?. i'm going to get a bad name for being sensible?.

(NEVER) :biggrin:

Dear All,

I am afraid that as an owner and member of the WCRA that just wants to be able to run my dogs, I am still feeling pretty confused and disappointed by the differing comments and  statements about racing/opens/champs etc.

Surely we should all be working together to arrange for opens to go ahead (with precautions put into place), at clubs that are not within restricted areas. (I note the earlier comments on the banning of racing/training WITHIN infected areas).

This outbreak is clearly a long way from over and we will not be able to run at some clubs for a long time. I really do feel that greater cooperation and information sharing between the WCRA-Clubs, Clubs-members will go along way to improving the situation for all of us and will hopefully lead us forward into:

a) getting us racing as-soon-as-possible at clubs where there are no outbreaks

and

b) keeping on as many Opens as possible (taking into account the local sitautions)

I for one feel very sorry for the Northern and other 'far out' clubs that may lose the chance to hold Championships this year and hope that the WCRA will honour their commitments by letting them hold the champs next year instead.

I just want to end up by repeating the fact that I am a sensible, responsible dog owner and member of the wider community and I would not like to run any risk of spreading the foot and mouth disease, however, we all have to get on with our lives and we only have to look at the advice that has been given to other sports to see that if we are sensible and follow precautions then the risk of spreading the disease will be negligible.

How does everyone else feel about this?

Darcia

(on behalf of my Duncton boys)

Quote: from Darcia on 4:49 pm on Mar. 14, 2001
I just want to end up by repeating the fact that I am a sensible, responsible dog owner and member of the wider community and I would not like to run any risk of spreading the foot and mouth disease, however, we all have to get on with our lives and we only have to look at the advice that has been given to other sports to see that if we are sensible and follow precautions then the risk of spreading the disease will be negligible.

How does everyone else feel about this?

Darcia

(on behalf of my Duncton boys)
I agree Darcia - with a responsible attitude we can move forward.

From the comments in this thread we can see that everyone wants to get back to racing, in a responsible and safe way (dare I say nearly universal support). Lets hope that everyone starts working towards that end rather than the negative attitude we have seen so far.

Well said Darcia and Nigel ;)

Dearest Mark - I always knew you were sensible! :cheesy:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back