The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Freddie updates

Shalista

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Despite being extremely inconsistent on actual flitting training true to yalls words of wisdom Freddie is generally picking up the vibe that mom at home isn't that terribly interesting. When I'm doing chores around the house he still continues to follow but I have noticed that just as some foods are higher value than others, some rooms are higher value than others. for example the spare bedroom. while we're staying here it's basically our glorified closet. I go here to unpack clothes from Amazon and change my clothes and put away laundry. it is extremely low value as far as rooms go. I usually start my flitting sessions going here and as soon as I open the door Freddie usually loses interest. even if I'm not flitting and just going about my day as soon as I enter that room Freddie will putz around sniffing and then peace out. boring. the bathroom is a little more interesting but only just(yes I poop with the door open. It's just me and my husband and I don't want to stress Freddie out with the closed door). the kitchen is insanely high value because that's where the treats are kept and where he gets fed. honestly, I don't even bother flitting here anymore because I don't think I'll ever manage to make the kitchen a not interesting place for Mom to be.

I did some thinking about what behaviors Freddie has that I find less than desirable and possible quality of life changes for all of us and I'm pretty sure it all comes down to impulse control/patience for him.
barrier frustration because he can't meet the other dog NOW. (he has repeatedly proven 6+ times that if he can greet the dog he is completely disinterested and dog-neutral)
running in circles when I'm trying to leash him up because he cant go out NOW.
jumping and barking at me when we first start walking when he sees I have the treat pouch on because he wants treats NOW.
barking/whining/jumping when he sees me putting on the ankle brace because I'm taking just too gosh darn long and he wants out NOW.
I may be anthropomorphizing him but I really think I've hit on something with him.
So we've been doing a lot more of its yer choice training with him (he's doing much better with it) and he is failing hilariously at "wait". he has nailed a sit. he will sit for forever. he's an angel at it. gets it every time. The moment I shift my weight to take a step he instantly stands. it's a work in progress. I think I could just give him a little more patience/impulse control we'd all be a little happier.

One of my dogs when we do 'sit, wait, come', (partly as a game and partly to encourage her to go in the direction I need her to go in!), after the years of playing it she has totally mixed it up, she'll now come when I say wait, wait when I say come and sometimes sit, most usually stand when I say sit or come when I say sit!😂 It's still fun and what I need from her is still achieved so we don't worry about it, old lady prerogative!

Increasing the amount of 'It's yer choice' training could add to his anxiety - as has been said, you're asking for PhD-level stuff when he's not had chance to settle in properly, and are now giving him extra sums. Also, your aim should not primarily be to train him to suppress the feelings that cause the frustration, but to make him see other dogs as really not that interesting - or rather that you are more interesting.

Increasing the amount of 'It's yer choice' training could add to his anxiety - as has been said, you're asking for PhD-level stuff when he's not had chance to settle in properly, and are now giving him extra sums. Also, your aim should not primarily be to train him to suppress the feelings that cause the frustration, but to make him see other dogs as really not that interesting - or rather that you are more interesting.
He’s been with us over a month. I never got an answer for when “settled in properly” would be when I could start doing this stuff. He’s really seeming to enjoy his training and he seems better able to redirect his focus to me on walks lately. His “bubble” for kicking off with dogs is noticeably smaller.

I never got an answer for when “settled in properly” would be
For a rescue dog they say roughly three days to decompress, roughly three weeks to learn the household routines and roughly three months to feel like they belong. So, look at three months or more - not a criticism; we know you want to do the right things but the extra pressure will just delay his settling.

I never got an answer for when “settled in properly” would be when I could start doing this stuff.

Actually Tinytom replied, and said they give their rescue dogs 6 months: Its yer choice vs leave it vs wait vs stay Of course, we can't see how Freddie is responding to the training, and what his body language is like when he sees another dog, hence wondering if you may be doing a bit too much rather than letting time do its work.

I’ve always followed the maxim of patience. Allow the animal their own time and space. Through your good grace you’ve rescued them from one ‘institution’ (physical or spiritual). Exchanging that for your own still imposes a restriction if he hasn’t been allowed time to fully assimilate his new situation. Take that with how many pinches of salt but I’ve found that it works. I must add that we’ve only rescued whippets.

He’s really seeming to enjoy his training
I do just have to say if he is enjoying the training and small positive results are being seen, the training may well be helping create the bond and aid his settling. Giving him the sense that someone cares enough for him to have these positive interactions... If there are no expectations or time pressures to achieve results, this input could be good for him? (as much as I do understand of course all of the above, we have to remember every dog is different...just wanted to throw this out there...)

Yes, as a game, whatever he enjoys is good. My concern is the idea that doing lots of impulse control training might translate into faster reduction of frustration reactivity, when it's best to let things develop at their own pace. A bit like singing counting songs with a toddler to help her learn to count, rather than trying to 'teach' it in a less enjoyable way.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back