The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Fussy eater after stomach upset

Juliatee

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Help needed please! My elderly spaniel bitch is currently getting over a stomach upset. And eating rice and chicken nature diet and scrambled egg. Prior to that she was on a diet of Wafcol sensitive with a bit of Chappie and cooked veg and she was doing really well and then suddenly got really fussy about everything. First it was the Wafcol which she started to leave so I gradually changed over to James Wellbeloved and then it was the Chappie. Now she won't even look at any kibble even if it is soaked. I can't feed her a convalescent diet forever so I would be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Juliatee

Are her teeth/mouth ok? This part of a dog not eating well if often over looked particularly in the elderly dog.

Next I would think about her remembering feeling sick when eating a certain diet. Dogs are programmed from the wild to avoid things that make them sick She will not know it was a bug or whatever that made her sick. She may well blame her food.

Try changing the type of food, the bowl and the place she is fed to see if you can break the "when I ate this, out of this, in this place I was sick" memory.

Also take all pressure and worry out of meal times. Just put it down, make yourself busy, pick it up after ten minutes. No eye contact with her or talking to her about eating or not eating.

I thought I knew stuff gypsysmum2, but all you've said makes sence as that's what I've been doing to mine recently with good results,, mines just getting over a stroke, I'd like to say he's recovered from his last stroke the vet said, but tabs for rest of life, he's 14 n half so hey ho day by day.

Stop it you will get me blushing hehehe, I suppose when your dog reaches 12 or so then it's always a added bonus to get to nearly 15 so I'm happy, I was cheated by bad luck 16 years ago with my lurcher as it picked up some rat poison and died of which I blamed myself for many a year.

I know what gypsymums means about dogs remembering things. My dog developed "bowl horror " a few months ago. And refused to eat out of the bowls she has used all her life. I have no real idea why except that one morning there was an open cupboard door just by where she eats and something fell out onto the floor just by her. I tried different old dog bowls that I had but nothing would do. Now she eats off a dinner plate if you please. I suspect it is easier for her as the food is more spread out and easier for her to pick up and/or see.

She is eating better now thankfully. Am considering giving her three smaller feeds a day instead of the normal two. Might be easier on her old tummy. Anyon any thoughts on this.

Juliatee

I don't think it was the open cupboard and noise Juliatee, I think it's just that she has developed a sense of style and much prefers a dinner plate!

She was always a princess and now she's older she is a bitter of a diva!!

I hope it's fine porcelain then!

Help needed please! My elderly spaniel bitch is currently getting over a stomach upset. And eating rice and chicken nature diet and scrambled egg. Prior to that she was on a diet of Wafcol sensitive with a bit of Chappie and cooked veg and she was doing really well and then suddenly got really fussy about everything. First it was the Wafcol which she started to leave so I gradually changed over to James Wellbeloved and then it was the Chappie. Now she won't even look at any kibble even if it is soaked. I can't feed her a convalescent diet forever so I would be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Juliatee
Hi Juliatee,

Just wanted to let you know, a tiny teaspoon of some pumpkin has worked wonders for me in the past!

Really helps an upset stomach. Hope that can work for you :)

Thanks,

Tom.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back