The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gender discrimination, around the world

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Lounge' started by leashedForLife, Apr 4, 2018.

1. leashedForLife

leashedForLife Well-Known Member Registered

I just saw this on the NHK News, on PBS 'World' channel -

Women urged to get out of sumo ring amid emergency- News - NHK WORLD - English

Apparently, rather than have WIMMEN sully their sacred sumo arena :rolleyes: , the wrestling officials would prefer that the Mayor of Maizuru City simply die...
    as they repeatedly announced that the F medical-professionals who rushed to give him CPR should "leave the sumo-ring immediately", over the public-address system, & some officials even attempted to pull the women away from the man, who'd collapsed while making a speech, & was lying, unmoving, on his back.

This is far from the only instance of traditionally looking down on or excluding women - it's practically universal, in nearly every culture, that women earn less, own less property, have fewer rights in fact [if not on paper], & are otherwise 2nd-class citizens, when compared to male citizens.
    Japan has a long history of using women as emergency workers, hiring them only when they are short of employees, & dumping them from jobs when the economy falters.
    This makes families with F heads of household very insecure, as their income goes so easily from boom to bust.

Women in Japan also speak a F version of Japanese - with many verbs in passive voice, & other feminized, "ladylike" differences. // A few years ago, many Japanese men were outraged & angry to discover that many teenaged girls now speak "male" Japanese with their F friends. Well, duh...

Gender differences in spoken Japanese - Wikipedia

2. leashedForLife

if Winnie Mandela had been WHITE & MALE, she'd have been portrayed as a saint.

CBC, eNCA, Reuters get social media drubbing for 'insulting' Winnie ...
    https://citizen.co.za/.../cbc-enca-reuters-get-social-media-drubbing-for-insulting-winni...
    9 hours ago -
    I wish the Mandela family would ban, from the funeral, all the media outlets that chose tovilify Mama Winnie Madikizela Mandela in their coverage of her passing. Qala ngala @eNCA. Bayasinyela. — PhumlaNgoxoloQhawekazi (@SisPelz) April 3, 2018. Hot on eNCA's heels was Reuters with the article ...

Winnie Mandela was a hero. If she'd been white, there would be no ...
    https://www.theguardian.com/.../2018/apr/.../winnie-mandela-hero-white-protest-aparthe...
    1 day ago -
    Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, as the press coverage of her death this week shows, is not entitled to the same rose-tinted eulogy as our white British men. She is “controversial” and a “bully”. One newspaper columnist was boldly willing to abandon his usual restraint in not writing ill of the dead specially for ...

... as it is, the apartheid Govt of South Africa did their level best to discredit, disempower, & belittle her during her lifetime, particularly by trying to SHUT HER UP while her then-husband was imprisoned.
    She was the only person who worked tirelessly to get him freed, talking frankly about the ANC at a time when other ANC members were afraid to be known as members, keeping his name & the issues in the public eye, & when she succeeded & he was finally free, he never acknowledged her years of work & struggle.
    He actually sent her from the room to make & fetch tea when other politicians came to discuss the future of S Africa! - turning her into a maid in her own home. // His behavior was appalling. :mad:
    I would never have expected Nelson Mandela to be a sexist pig - but he was.

- terry

3. arealhuman

arealhuman Well-Known Member Registered

It's gone the other way here - a Police Male Voice Choir (clue is in the name) have been scolded for not having any female members :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: The had to rename themselves as the Police didn't want to be associated with it.

leashedForLife likes this.
  4. leashedForLife

The chorus that i sang with was itself a member of Sweet Adelines Int'l - they're a women's barbershop organization, with members around the world singing 4-part harmony & ringing chords.
    Don't look for guys on the risers. :D We sing our own bass-line, thanks.

But seriously, i'm bl**dy tired of this nonsense, with 51% of the global popn getting the short n' dirty end of the stick. I'm approaching retirement age, & i've earned 75% or less of my MALE co-workers' wages all my life - including those very workers THAT I WAS TRAINING, & if that isn't a slap in the face, i don't know how to bring it home to any male.
    My grandmother was a young woman when women got the vote - yet here we are, decades later, & we're still very, very far from any economic equity, let alone political or social equality. And if U're a woman of color, it's even worse - i'm relatively lucky, being "white".

- t