The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

German shepherd eating difficulties

hollysh

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I am dog sitting 2 German shepherds atm whose owner said can't eat food before or after a walk because of problems to do with digestion. Is it a breed thing an age thing or combination of both? she told me I had to feed them at least an hour beforw their walk or an hour after it. They are 10 and 11 so she is probably being a little extra cautious. Do you think this is a little over cautious or do you think it is appropriate action? I have them for a week and my timetable does vary in regards to how many walks I have during the day and time generally. Do you think harm would come to them if i fed them before a walk?

This will be because of the risk of bloat, and GSDs can be prone to it. It is often recommended that dogs shouldn't be walked an hour before or after a meal. Some studies suggest that the evidence for this is slim, but you really need to follow the owner's wishes on this. Bloat is often fatal and if one of them did get it when you hadn't done as they asked, they would hold you responsible for the consequences.

It would also be worth you being aware of the signs of bloat. This is an emergency - if you suspect it, head straight to the vet, getting someone else to ring ahead. Don't ring the vet first and ask for an appointment - the dog could be dead by the time you get there.

There's a page about bloat with specific reference to GSDs here: https://gsrne.org/bloat/

I think if you have agreed to take responsibility for them you should honour your clients request.

If the client hasgiven instructions about their dog which were ignored and any harm came to the dog there is a good reason to sue.

It would be better to feed them over the hour mark rather than under the hour mark if your schedule doesn’t allow to the ‘exact’ time.

Thanks I am attempting to stick to the schedule. It is difficult because one of them won't eat their breakfast when I give it to them. He's quite slow. One had their breakfast early hours of this morning and put the other ones out for him between his legs on the floor by the bed which the owner specified. Went to do my paper round (takes an hour and a half) came back to take them for a walk. and one of them had barely touched his food. Then his sister was tucking into it even though she had already eaten :) I still took them for a walk because they needed to go out

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back