The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Getting no sleep!

Kelle

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
We have a 4 month old labradoodle who is waking up earlier and earlier (barking the house down). When we first got him it was 5:30am which was manageable as we usually get up at 6 so we figured it just meant a longer walk in the morning for him. Now we’re not even getting to 3am. My husband is having to get up and sleep with him on the sofa so he doesn’t wake our 3 young children. I’m getting desperate as it’s literally ruining our first year of marriage! It’s not separation anxiety as we have a pet cam on him during the day when we are out and he’s fine! Any help please?!

Has he already learned a "settle down" cue? If not i would start with that, in the daytime until he is quite reliable with it. You might also want to make sure he isnt being disturbed by anything. Also, could he be hungry? A snack last thing might help.

What time is he settling down for the night? If he's crashed out asleep too early he could simply be slept out by 3am.

Would you consider having him sleep in your bedroom with you? This could really make a big difference. Even though it's (probably) not separation anxiety (dogs can be very situational, so being on his own in the day can be different to being on his own at night), he may be happier to settle when he knows that you're close. Also, he might not be quite so unsettled by any noises he hears outside. My dog sometimes chooses to sleep downstairs or in the spare room, and he's much more likely to wake in the night and ask to go out than if he sleeps in with us. If he sleeps in our room he also whines more quietly if he does want to get up bright and early than if he was downstairs.

Does he settle when your husband is on the sofa?

I know the strain of being disturbed in the night - if you really want him to sleep downstairs, one solution is to alternate being 'on duty' at night, possibly even sleeping the whole night in the same room as the dog (you can wean yourself away later). Then one night out of two, you're guaranteed a decent night's sleep. Mind you, the effect of that on your relationship is probably different to when you've been married as long as I have:D

Would you consider having him sleep in your bedroom with you? This could really make a big difference. Even though it's (probably) not separation anxiety (dogs can be very situational, so being on his own in the day can be different to being on his own at night), he may be happier to settle when he knows that you're close. Also, he might not be quite so unsettled by any noises he hears outside. My dog sometimes chooses to sleep downstairs or in the spare room, and he's much more likely to wake in the night and ask to go out than if he sleeps in with us. If he sleeps in our room he also whines more quietly if he does want to get up bright and early than if he was downstairs.

Does he settle when your husband is on the sofa?

I know the strain of being disturbed in the night - if you really want him to sleep downstairs, one solution is to alternate being 'on duty' at night, possibly even sleeping the whole night in the same room as the dog (you can wean yourself away later). Then one night out of two, you're guaranteed a decent night's sleep. Mind you, the effect of that on your relationship is probably different to when you've been married as long as I have:D
He goes straight to sleep with my husband (lucky him!). We have thought about having him in our room but we have a young baby in with us as well so it wouldn’t be ideal. Also at 4 months old he’s already huge and I know he’d end up in bed with us! I’m beginning to think there’s no other option though if I want to remain sane!

I’m beginning to think there’s no other option though

It doesn't have to be forever. Once he is settled at nights you could start moving his bed, just a foot at a time, towards the place you want him to sleep. But in your room you also have the advantage of being able to tell him to settle down more easily.

If there's the space, you could have him in a crate in your room. I found that my dog learnt quite quickly that he couldn't come on our bed, and was surprisingly good about it. Of course, yours may be different...;)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back