The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Giving paracetamol to dog.

Ddarly

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi guys. I have a 15 half year old staffy called Molly.

She's been on metacam for over a year now due to painful back legs. She's deteriorated recently and I dipped her wee and it showed traces of protein and blood. So took her vets last night and they gave us antibiotics and told us to add in 8.5ml of Calpol (one that doesn't contain sweeteners). They took her temp and took her away for some bloods.

Vet rang me last to tell me her liver is on high side of normal but her kidneys are not to good. And to stop the metacam at once. (Fed her ten mins before vet rang).

But to continue with the Calpol. Antibiotics and I also give her glucosamine and cod liver oil daily too.

And to drop a urine sample in on Monday morning before we head off for a week in the motorhome. Dreading that with Molly. Gulp.

Anyway I've googled Calpol/paracetamol and have scared myself a little.

Anyone have experience with this ?

Also need to add. Molly has lost 4kg since June.

So instead of feeding her just in the evening (she had kids left overs in the morning with her vitamins). I'm giving her a tin in the morning and evening. (She won't eat dry food as her teeth hurt too).

I used to give my Lab cross 1/2 an ibuprofen to ease her stiffness, it worked and didn't seem to have

any side effects.

Aspirin and Ibuprofen give dogs stomach ulcers. I have seen a dog in extreme pain from the administration of Ibuprofen. It was circling and circling in agony. The owner thought it was suffering from "old age" and going a bit senile. The poor dog collapsed and died shortly after.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back