The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Gnawing or chewing?

spanielmad

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I let my dogs gnaw on natural things such as hooves. My second dog would do this all day long if i let her. She's 14 months old, are teeth fully developed at this age or does it depend on breed? I hear so many age contradictions with dogs regarding what age they stop growing or are fully developed. All I'm concerned about is whether gnawing on natural products could harm her teeth?

I am no expert so I can't say with any degree of certainty.

But it's likely that her teeth are stronger than anything you give her. And gnawing is generally good for dental hygiene. If it was causing her discomfort she wouldn't do it. Chewing is also a self gratifying behaviour so it will make her feel happy and relaxed.

Larger dogs do mature faster, but in a youngster the difference is quite small so as long as the chew is safe from splintering or being a choke hazard, just go for it and be pleased it's a chew and not a shoe!

Edited to add - rawhide is not as natural as you would be led to believe. Raw chicken wings are amazing. Pizzles seem to be popular... - with dogs anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Joanne. I don't buy rawhide. I'm lucky that there's a really good pet store near me (i say store as using the word shop to me means pets at home, rather than a store which is cheaper and sells better natural things) you're right, she wouldn't chew if it hurt her teeth, i never thought of that before i posted. I give both my dog's a raw chicken wing about twice a week, only in the garden though, don't like the thought of raw meat on my carpets! When training, the high value treats i use are cooked ham or chicken pieces. A friend of mine said ham is okay now and again, but ham isn't good for dogs, she pointed out that in all commercial dog foods you'll see beef, lamb, chicken, rabbit etc but never pork, for that reason. Again, a light went off, I've never seen pork as a dog food ingredient, what are your thoughts on that? My pet store does dried beef shins, chicken feet, lots of good natural chewy things, could be why my dogs don't chew shoes or furniture etc, because they don't get anything out of it? Going back to pork not being good, pigs ears are readily used and available? God, dogs can be a minefield, think I'll have another human baby!

There are some foods that have pork. I know because I wondered exactly the same thing a couple of years ago and being me - obsessive but hopefully not dangerous - I did some research. But the main concern I have with ham is the high salt content. As an occasional treat it's fine but if you give too much or if you have a tiny dog, it makes their little kidneys work awfully hard.

I'm with you too on raw chicken on the carpet. I'd rather hold the wing and have a good wash after.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about salt too, so no longer use ham, they do love it though so i only ever use it as a treat for agility, so they associate it with that

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back