The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Going backwards with peeing!

Peegee

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 8month dog had not had any accidents in the house for several weeks and is trained to ring the bells on back door when she wants to go out, which she does frequently. Having now come out of her crate at night and now sleeping in basket on landing she even comes into our bedroom to wake us up if she needs to toilet in the night/early morning. However twice this week she has suddenly, without any warning, peed on the front room carpet right in front of us. The first time I had been playing with her and I put it down to excitement, I quickly interrupted her and ushered her out the back door where she finished off! The second time we had just come in from a long walk, on which she had peed. Again without any warning she just squatted on the carpet, I quickly ushered her out the door but because she'd been on her walk she'd finished anyway. Is this common to have accidents like this or do you think I should go back to treating her for pees outdoors? Many thanks for any advice.

It never hurts to go back to basics with house training. Perhaps take for extra pees for a while. Make sure that the treat arrives immediately she pees outside. Some dogs think they get the treat for coming to their owner and never connect the treat with the act of toileting in the garden. Make a huge fuss of her.

Has she had a season yet? Could this be what is causing this behaviour? Bitches will scent mark more when they are coming into season.

Clean the are where she has peed with a 10% solution of biological detergent. Rinse. Dry and then agitate some spirit like white vinegar or surgical spirit into the area. This lifts the last of the fat deposits present in urine that dogs can still detect.

Thanks Gypsysmum. She's been spayed so don't think this is the problem. I know what you mean by treating immediately as we were making this mistake when she was younger and you kindly put us right. The problem I have now is that if she is aware I'm hovering, which I need to do to get treat to her immediately, then she knows what is coming and often stops what she's doing to get her treat! She doesn't have access to the whole garden and goes to toilet on our patio (pooing mainly in a sectioned designated 'toilet' area. I know this isn't her preferred surface for peeing but due to layout of garden would be difficult to treat her immediately if she had full access. And if I'm honest it also means she cannot dig up the garden the whole time and bring half of it back with her indoors! I'll up the treat regime and hope this was a little 'blip'.

What surface has she got to pee on? It may not be to her liking and may be causing an issue? Is it absorbent? Bitches hate to pee on hard surfaces where they may get splashed.

Of course it is always worth a check it is not a urinary infection before making any other changes.

Do you remember her demeanour when she peed in front of you? Did she look up at you expectantly by any chance? There is an outside chance that she peed in the hope of a treat ???

It is concrete unfortunately and I realise that this is not a preferred surface. However we haven't had any issues until the two events this week so not sure if it is that. But I have been trying to think of how I could give her some grass on the patio for peeing. When she did pee in front of us I don't think she particularly looked to us for a treat, she just squatted and peed as though that was perfectly normal.

My first instinct would be to find some sort of absorbent surface for her. Could you make a gravel area for her somewhere? I must say that any bitches I have had have not even chosen gravel over grass but if the choice were gravel or concrete then she might be happier?

Of could she be supervised in the grassed area? Perhaps using flexi lead. You could overcome the treating at a distance issue by using a clicker. She can then be anywhere and get a click for peeing or pooing with a treat following later. A good trainer will demonstrate clicker training but an idea, if you do not already know how to do it, can be gained from Kiko Pup on YouTube.

One way to deal with unwanted digging is to lay chicken wire over the area and allow the grass and plants to grow through it. The dog can be provided with a sand pit elsewhere and encouraged to use it for digging by burying toys and treats in it. A children's one that has a cover is best to deter cats from using it as a toilet.

Many people keep wet wipes by the door to deal with muddy feet. I just have an old towel :)

Yes I do think I need to reconsider our arrangements. Looking into how I can provide a small grassed area on the patio for her. The problem is, she likes to go out such a lot, just to potter about on the patio, so I never know when she wants to pee or not. So hard to take her on lead to the lawn as I never know when she wants to pee or not. I had been hoping that once she was using her 'patch' for pooing then she would have access to the garden. I don't think that if we do give her full access she would come down to use the 'patch'. Maybe I have to give up on the 'patch' until the weather is better and I can follow her around and retrain her to use 'patch'.

It may be that she goes out often because she does want to pee but is reluctant to use the concrete. She comes back in but then feels the need to go again. Wanders round looking for an absorbent surface, doesn't find one, comes back in again.

I know it is wonderful if they use a patch to poo in but the benefits of free running in the garden are huge. Not least a clean carpet.

I think you may well be right. We have bitten the bullet today and removed the barrier to the garden. She is one very happy dog! Charging around and peeing on the lawn! She has been really good with using the 'poo patch' but if this now lapses, we'll just have to rethink and perhaps try to retrain again in the summer and when she's older, perhaps we'll make a new patch up in the garden where she will be spending more time. We used to have a Sheltie some years ago and he was brilliant about using his patch and learnt very quickly but perhaps Cockapoos are a different kettle of fish, she is certainly a whole lot bouncier! Thanks for you help.

I think the big difference is when you say 'he was brilliant'. A male is quite happy irrespective of the surface, but a lot of females like to go on an absorbent surface.

Hi Biker John, I actually meant for poohing. He used to pee on the lawn, interestingly he rarely cocked his leg, seeming to prefer squatting for most of his life.

Hi there,

If you're still looking for help with your dog then we would love to hear from you. I am working on a new ITV pilot about dogs and their behaviour and we are looking for people and their pets to take part. Our expert canine behaviourists might be able to help. Please email rebecca.morris1@rdftelevision.com for more information.

Hope to hear from you soon

If you're still looking for help with your dog then we would love to hear from you. I am working on a new ITV pilot about dogs and their behaviour and we are looking for people and their pets to take part. Please email rebecca.morris1@rdftelevision.com for more information.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Rebecca

DOG SHOW FLYER.pdf

Attachments

• DOG SHOW FLYER.pdf
    196.4 KB · Views: 197
Do ensure any behavioural help you engage with is of the modern school of thought. They should be interested in the emotional state of your dog before during and after the bad behaviour and use only positive methods.

Thanks Gypsysmum. I wouldn't seek advice from anyone who didn't use modern methods. However my problem now seems fully resolved. Evie has full access to the whole garden and pees and poos where she chooses, and so far this hasn't included the lounge carpet! So I think you were right and she really wasn't happy peeing on the concrete patio. The next 'problem' to resolve is to stop her digging up our shrubs!! One for the warmer weather. I did read a comment from you in another post about Cockapoos and there habit of barking. I would just like to say in their defence - they don't all bark! Evie is a very quiet dog and only gives a bark (usually single) if someone walks past back gate.

Thank you so much for updating us! Glad that Evie is not a huge barker :)

Digging can be prevented by laying chicken netting on the area and planting through it. You might have to cut it to fit around established shrubs. Lawns can even be mowed over, once grass grows through the laid flat netting.

Providing a sand pit, full of play sand (sold as silver sand sometimes) keeps some dogs happy if you hide toys and treats in it. Best to cover it when not in use to prevent cats using it as a toilet.

I'd like to buy some garden games for her. Do you know of any? I have thought of putting in a rotary washing line and hanging things from it but wondererd if there is anything out there. We don't have a vey big garden, but have a small lawn area and a patio.

Boomer ball from Kong is a large, very hard, ball. They can chase it all over the garden but cannot get their teeth into it!

Take a look at www.talkingdogsscentwork.co.uk Dogs absolutely love it and it is very tiring!

Be very careful about tying toys to washing lines. Your washing might be mistaken for a toy :)

Ah, good thinking - I hadn't thought of that? I will look at your suggestions though, thanks very much.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back