The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Going to be dogsitting next week!

Rach123

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,

Have joined the forum as I'm looking after my brother's dog next week from Wednesday! Her's a cockapoo about a year old and quite lively. I'm hoping I help him to walk a bit more calmly on the lead as every time I've met up with them outside the house he pulls you along. I've heard that if they start pulling you it's a good idea to just stop. I've had a bit of experience with dogs but my mum has never wanted one living with us until now :) Any advice appreciated!

Yes, that's a good way to start.

A sound marker, like a clicker, can help too. A sound marker marks the exact moment in time that your dog does a good thing, and is always paired with a reward. Think of it like the sound equivalent of a snapshot. There's more about using a clicker here - Training with a clicker

So you start walking, the dog pulls, and you stop. The moment the dog eases back on the lead and the pressure slackens, you use your sound marker (click, or ”yesssss” or anything else you want) and follow with a reward.

The dog will likely start pulling again immediately but keep repeating and she will get the idea. Its a good idea not to think of this as having a walk, because that just makes walks frustrating - this is training, not walking, and if you get no further than the next lamp-post that's okay.

You might also find this video helpful.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back