The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Goose Grass

ruth

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Not sure if this is the right name for it, it is that weed that sticks to your clothes!

Anyway, monty seems to love eating it - it doesn't seem to hurt him but i wanted to be certain it was not poisonous. Also why does he do it? He likes to snack on grass too!

Thanks

Ruth

Sorry don't know if it's ok for him to eat it but mine eat allsorts of stuff in the garden(I dont have any flowers and if I did they'd be dead anyway :b ) it's hard to stop them really, especailly when we go to the woods but mine pull grass up and eat mud ect :wacko: :x

Mine eat it at this time of year like it is going out of fashion. It will not harm them, I understand it is a diuretic but I think mine just like it!!!

The next delicacy will be dandelion flowers when they are out

My dogs are eating goose grass too :)) i done a bit of weeding but left the weed for the dogs to eat,as well as some course grass,i think they eat it to sort out their tummies :))

Mine eat the wild garlic that grows like mad in the woods and in autumn they pick the blackberries straight off the bushes. They also eat soil & sand, and dig up and eat tree roots.

There was some survey done on packs of wild wolves & it found no trace of any worm or other parasite in the faeces probably due to the wolves eating coarse grasses and earth.

The dogs obviously know whats good for them :))

mine love the comfy that I have growing . esp India

I haven't seen my two eat it but my guinea pigs love it!

Sid is eating it too, he also eats stinging nettles and the leaves on the blackberry bushes :p it is a wonder his mouth doesn't get stung. He also goes along eating the blackberries off the bushes when they are in fruit o:)

avon said:
Sid is eating it too, he also eats stinging nettles and the leaves on the blackberry bushes  :p it is a wonder his mouth doesn't get stung.  He also goes along eating the blackberries off the bushes when they are in fruit  o:)

My two love eating this too(I call it sticky weed). They will go out of their way to find it and will even delay a free run in order to have their little treat first! It doesn't make them vomit like ordinary grass ,they just seem to like the taste(must taste like rabbit poo)!

Both of mine have been eating it since it started shooting a couple of months back.They love it. It does no harm and I am convinced it is beneficial as in pregnant ladies getting cravings (mine were pineapple and cream crackers) It must replace much needed vitamins and is probably quite tasty too! Let him munch away :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replies, very reassuring!

avon said:
Sid is eating it too, he also eats stinging nettles and the leaves on the blackberry bushes  :p it is a wonder his mouth doesn't get stung.  He also goes along eating the blackberries off the bushes when they are in fruit  o:)
Only the blackberry leaves? My Borzois used to eat the whole green twigs, thorns and all. And also roses, even the wooddy bits with huge thorns. (w00t) My whippets also eat some plant which sticks to my clothes, do not know whar is its name.

A friend bought a very sickly little whippie bitch off a woman who wanted "rid" of her - she couldn't get her clean in the house. Her waater was really strong and very smelly, so off to the vets, the prescribed anti biotics with no result, eventually they spoke to an old lady who told them to find some gooses grass and let her eat it. They did and she is now as fit and well as any whippet could be. Nature knows best!!!

I have found 2 totally differnet plants called goose grass; the first one is african grass and the second is this one Galium aparine Catchweed Bedstraw, Sticky Willy, Goose Grass, Cleavers or velcro plant. That is the one with medicinal properties. That is the one my dogs also eat when it is around. Interestingly it seems to come out in the spring and then it disapears. There is none in my garden now, maybe the dogs ate it all (w00t) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Seraphina said:
I have found 2 totally differnet plants called goose grass; the first one is african grass and the second is this one Galium aparine  Catchweed Bedstraw, Sticky Willy, Goose Grass, Cleavers or velcro plant.  That is the one with medicinal properties.  That is the one my dogs also eat when it is around.  Interestingly it seems to come out in the spring and then it disapears.  There is none in my garden now, maybe the dogs ate it all (w00t) .
Your pic is the one I am talking about, it doesn't vanish round here, it stays until early winter and the burrs dry and stick in my Collie X's very long coat - they take hours to get out - and she just loves to eat it and roll in it!!! :angry: :wub: but I love her!!!

Seraphina said:
I have found 2 totally differnet plants called goose grass; the first one is african grass and the second is this one Galium aparine  Catchweed Bedstraw, Sticky Willy, Goose Grass, Cleavers or velcro plant.  That is the one with medicinal properties.  That is the one my dogs also eat when it is around.  Interestingly it seems to come out in the spring and then it disapears.  There is none in my garden now, maybe the dogs ate it all (w00t) .

I wish it would dissappear from my garden :lol:

ruth said:
Seraphina said:

I wish it would dissappear from my garden :lol:

I think our summers are too hot and dry for this plant, and I do have to admit I do pull it out now and then. I did certainly pull it out very consciously when I had my Borzois, but I never found it any bother, it does come out so easily. :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back