The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Gracilis Injuries.....

stormydog

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
ok everyone who has been concerned about Colts injury will know theres a chance that it might be a tear to his left "gracilis" muscle...how serious is this ? is this injury a career ender or is it an injury that slows a dog down ? does it cause pain constantly ? is this injury more applicable to track and bend dogs rather than out-and-out straight-sprinting machines like Colt

the "gracilis" is responsible for extending hip and hock joints and also the sideways action of the hindlegs as does the "tensor" (triangle muscle) so do both of these muscle groups need to work 100% correctly for maximum performance and a pain-free sprint or does a dog loose performance but is in no pain ?

ive studied Colts bruising and contrary to all the "gracilis tear" suggestions the bruise appears tom to be on his "adductor" muscle which also is part of the hip and sideways action muscle groups...can the bruising be giving me false hope ?

ive got an appointment with irelands top greyhound vet on saturday morning so all will be revealed then.

im such an impatient twat which explains this post.

Colt seems to be in no pain at all and infact tonight after his massage he stretched right out with his legs fully extended behind...surely a torn or dropped "gracilis"would either caused a sharp pain or else wouldnt have allowed him to do that so easily...? , before anyone points out i am aware that the suspected tear may only become apparent when he sprints.

ive bought an ultrasound kit to aid recovery pending Gerry Scullions prognosis.

fingers crossed i get some decent news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about Colts new injury

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: in getting some good news of the vet

oldhall016.jpg

This is how it looks John if it's his gracilis :luck:

Only person whose going to be able to answer your questions is the vet John. There'll be those who've had their dogs recover and others who've had to hang up their muzzles, you may even have a half way result where your dog can run straights but not the bends.

You'll just have to be patient till you know what your dealing with. Best of luck with the vets :luck:

It depends on how serious it is ......My Eric has ripped all across the back of his right gracillis .....It hasn't stopped his trapping ability, but over 150 yards hes lost about 6 lengths ..... My old boy and his sister have both well and truley dropped both gracillis muscles, and they seem to have slowed down a bit but are able to hold their own still .....Both are just coming up 7 and are off today to compete in the Parkstone Vases lure coursing meet tomorrow .......Most of the time they arn't career ending, they just lose some form ... :luck: :luck:

wild whippies said:
Only person whose going to be able to answer your questions is the vet John. There'll be those who've had their dogs recover and others who've had to hang up their muzzles, you may even have a half way result where your dog can run straights but not the bends.You'll just have to be patient till you know what your dealing with. Best of luck with the vets :luck:

Agree with Jac,John your gonna have to be patient and wait until tomorrow.On the good side having spoken to a couple of people,dogs have been known to go on and get there bend titles after a tear,so think positive :thumbsup:

stormydog said:
ok everyone who has been concerned about Colts injury will know theres a chance that it might be a tear to his left "gracilis" muscle...how serious is this ? is this injury a career ender or is it an injury that slows a dog down ? does it cause pain constantly ? is this injury more applicable to track and bend dogs rather than out-and-out straight-sprinting machines like Coltthe "gracilis" is responsible for extending hip and hock joints and also the sideways action of the hindlegs as does the "tensor" (triangle muscle) so do both of these muscle groups need to work 100% correctly for maximum performance and a pain-free sprint or does a dog loose performance but is in no pain ?

ive studied Colts bruising and contrary to all the "gracilis tear" suggestions the bruise appears tom to be on his "adductor" muscle which also is part of the hip and sideways action muscle groups...can the bruising be giving me false hope ?

ive got an appointment with irelands top greyhound vet on saturday morning so all will be revealed then.

Colt seems to be in no pain at all and infact tonight after his massage he stretched right out with his legs fully extended behind...surely a torn or dropped "gracilis"would either caused a sharp pain or else wouldnt have allowed him to do that so easily...?  , before anyone points out i am aware that the suspected tear may only become apparent when he sprints.

Just to say :luck: with the vet tomorrow

We have had some nasty gracilis injuries with our racing greyhounds ,some did prove impossible others healed and raced again.

If I see swelling there after a trial or race its raid the bars at the track for ice straight away packing it in a towel and holding on the swelling.

I think the main thing is do what ever the vet says but time is the best healer and for any injury especially muscles and wrists is if a vet advises 6 weeks off we always give longer from fast work but do plenty of road walking to help the fittness.

:luck: again Lillibet

stormydog said:
ok everyone who has been concerned about Colts injury will know theres a chance that it might be a tear to his left "gracilis" muscle...how serious is this ? is this injury a career ender or is it an injury that slows a dog down ? does it cause pain constantly ? is this injury more applicable to track and bend dogs rather than out-and-out straight-sprinting machines like Coltthe "gracilis" is responsible for extending hip and hock joints and also the sideways action of the hindlegs as does the "tensor" (triangle muscle) so do both of these muscle groups need to work 100% correctly for maximum performance and a pain-free sprint or does a dog loose performance but is in no pain ?

Colt seems to be in no pain at all and infact tonight after his massage he stretched right out with his legs fully extended behind...surely a torn or dropped "gracilis"would either caused a sharp pain or else wouldnt have allowed him to do that so easily...?  , before anyone points out i am aware that the suspected tear may only become apparent when he sprints.

hope its not the gracilis tore john and its somthing which will mend alda best with your opp with vet

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

COME ON COLT!!!!

:luck: :luck: All the best for Colt tomorrow John :luck: :thumbsup:

yes mate hope it all goes well at the vet :thumbsup: mitent be as bad as u think 8)

sorry to prattle on but here are todays pix...hasnt it changed ?

monday mornings pic.

S8301893.jpg

todays

S8301899.jpg

and from behind

S8301896.jpg

theres a marked difference, massaged every few hours and "pink hollys" high powered arnica tablets.

Lookin a lot better John.Hopefully it's only superfitial bruising mate,and not a complete tear of any kind.So long as there's not a tear at either end of anything,and confined to the middle region of the mussle in ?,then there's a good chance of recovery.I do think though,that he will be out of action for quite a while mate.Had a bitch with Alesander Perez once,and he said that the damage was not at the end of the Gracillus,and with time she would be ok.Patric Mathew's has her down in Cornwall now,for breeding purposes,and she's a great bitch on the lamp,with no Gracillus problem's.Anyway, :luck: :luck: with Gerry,and tell him that we could be doing with him back up here. ...Billy...

good luck at the vets John :luck: :luck: :luck: i sincerely hope its not a torn gracillus.keeping everything crossed for you and sending healing thoughts to Colt :huggles:

Oh no! :(

Don't worry i will make sure colt still runs!! ;)

:luck: Colt

:huggles: :huggles:

Just pmed ya (w00t)

the vindaloo was lovely :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back