The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Grooming Tables

littlenell

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:blink: Thinking of buying a grooming table and wondered which size is best for a whippet? I want to use it not only for grooming but so I can practise standing Ozzy on a table :sweating: :- " Been looking on ebay and seen different sizes - with wheels/without etc ....the last one I had wobbled like mad and was useless. What do you use K9ers? (and any tips on how to get him to stand still would help!!) (w00t) :thumbsup:

I personally like 20-24 inches wide by 36 inches long. They come larger and smaller, but this size seems to suit a Whippet best.

I might also suggest that you purchase a table with a textured surface, rather than one with a mat glued on top, since the mats ALWAYS come off and it's hard to get them to stay reglued. Best of luck to you finding the right table.

Personally Ive never felt the need to buy a table just to stand my whippet on . or even for grooming for that matter

Any stable surface will do , and it gets it used to standing on anything , some shows we have to use awful long tables and sometimes even share with the stewards , ( although KC regs say we should have a separate table )

Save your money is my opinion . :huggles:

Getting him to stand still on the floor first would be of help too :D When training a baby , just do a couple of mins so they dont get bored ;) Even if his legs arnt in the right places to begin with , as long as hes still , that would be a start :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to start putting them up on the table ( any table) nice and young. As Jax says, it doesn't matter too much about getting them perfectly stacked at first. Just getting them used to being on the table and relaxed is the main thing. I use a rubber car mat as I find it doesn't slip. Also, borrow visitors to " go over" the dog, ( just gently stroking will do to start with.)

(and any tips on how to get him to stand still would help!!) (w00t) :thumbsup:

:oops: I hope he doesn't take after his Mum :- " "as she cam be a real fidget in the ring sometimes!!! :angry: I'm sure a few others on here can vouch for that :b :wacko: :- "

Lola is slowly getting the hang of this 'stacking thing' but it takes time. patience, praise & BRIBERY!!! :lol:

louiejoe said:

:oops: I hope he doesn't take after his Mum :- " "as she cam be a real fidget in the ring sometimes!!! :angry: I'm sure a few others on here can vouch for that :b :wacko: :- "

Lola is slowly getting the hang of this 'stacking thing' but it takes time. patience, praise & BRIBERY!!! :lol:

Beau seems to stack well :thumbsup: :wub: :wub:

louiejoe said:

That is unless you have ME! baiting both Bracken and Tess!!! (w00t) Multi talented me!! :lol: :p :teehee:

I use a 36ins grooming table to stack them on but then again I have the one with wheels and this doubles as a cage trolley at the shows (or did until recently ...I have now bought a show trolley) like Mary I find the 36in one is the best size.

Regarding stacking...just practice everyday for a little while and I find bait very good for taking their mind off the task at hand! But then again I like my whippets with an alert expression. I am sure Ozzy has been basically stacked from a very young age (I even do mine before they can stand and just "hold" them in position!) by his breeders so he does know what is what...just needs a little reminding!! :lol: Lots of luck with him,he is a cracking little boy! :thumbsup: :luck:

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back