The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Grooming??

redddragon

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I know it's probably not a topic covered here very often as most of you have Whippets or Greyhounds. But my Beddy X Whippet, Elsie is VERY fluffy and I'm just looking for some basic tips.

I bought a brush a few weeks back to get the loose hairs out from her coat as she doesnt malt as such, it just stays within her coat (like a full Bedlington). The brush was one of those ones that is made up of metal pins that are bent slightly and it worked great. Now that her coat is getting a little more coarse I can't use it as it just gets stuck. So I bought a little normal brush, almost like the human ones on one side and the black bristles on the other side to smooth the hairs, but using this does absolutely nothing.

Just wondering if anyone can recomend a type of brush or comb that would be good for her coat before I go and buy yet another one that doesnt work :teehee:

I don't know if the coat is similiar to my mini's (coarse wire hair on the back, softer feathering on the legs), but I have to use a comb. I use the mat splitter brush (the first one you described) first to help get rid of the mats on the legs and then comb through. I also have to use a special comb that cuts the coarse hair on the body as you comb it through, but I've got my doubts you'd have to use that.

Hopefully someone with experience of beddie coats will be able to help. :)

Nicola said:
I don't know if the coat is similiar to my mini's (coarse wire hair on the back, softer feathering on the legs), but I have to use a comb. I use the mat splitter brush (the first one you described) first to help get rid of the mats on the legs and then comb through. I also have to use a special comb that cuts the coarse hair on the body as you comb it through, but I've got my doubts you'd have to use that.

I have a beddy whippet and i think i know the type of brush you mean with the very shap closed together metal pins. That would not work at all on Jakes fur so i have had for 8 years the same brush, the make has rubbed off now sorry but it was quite expensive at the time. I will try and explain it. The handle is wood and it is oval in shape one side of the brush is real bristle the other side of the brush is thick metal pins widely spaced, built into a cushoined base.

This is the only brush i can use to get the tats from Jakes fur without him cringing. I use the bristle side for his under regions as the fur there is very fine.

Hope this helps

Debsy

jake_1.jpg

My dog has a really thick coat and I don't use a brush at all. I use a long metal comb. It has two widths if you know what I mean, I do her coat with the wider side first then use the narrower side. I also find it helps to do the coat in sections rather that just pull the comb through the whole coat :- "

hy cheryl

have you ever seen those tools that look like a hacksaw blade bent round in a loop with a handle attached-shedding blade ? try one of those..pick them up in most petshops or eeven ebay.

to be honest i dont know how good theyd work on a really permed coat like your girl has :D ..but i havent seen them give a bad result yet. all you got to do is draw it thru the coat and it strips the outer coat off and encourages new and shiney hair in its place.....i dont mean like instantly tho :D :wacko:

try it and see. if you cant get one let me know and ill get ya one :thumbsup:

johnny scissor hands :blink:

If you have a grooming table which is good as you can put him on his side and get

one side done at a time. I have 2 bearded collies and they have very long coats and I use a MASON PEARSONAL UNIVERSAL NYLON brush and also a combe with wide teeth and do the under coat then the top . you can get these at dogs shows

hope this is of some use to you.

debsy said:
Nicola said:

I have a beddy whippet and i think i know the type of brush you mean with the very shap closed together metal pins. That would not work at all on Jakes fur so i have had for 8 years the same brush, the make has rubbed off now sorry but it was quite expensive at the time. I will try and explain it. The handle is wood and it is oval in shape one side of the brush is real bristle the other side of the brush is thick metal pins widely spaced, built into a cushoined base.

This is the only brush i can use to get the tats from Jakes fur without him cringing. I use the bristle side for his under regions as the fur there is very fine.

Hope this helps

Debsy

Hi that brush sound like a basic pin brush which are very good for beddy coats as it dematts and doesnt break the coat, i purchased my from grooomers online although it doesnt have the bristle on the other side but you shouldnt need a bristle brush for this coat type although hard to tell as ive not seen or felt his coat texture, hope that is a help to you. Matt splitters are also good for getting the knot free and then use the pin brush. Also brushing him before a bath is alot easier asbathing makes it more knotty :thumbsup:

foxway said:
debsy said:
Nicola said:

Hope this helps

Debsy

Hi that brush sound like a basic pin brush which are very good for beddy coats as it dematts and doesnt break the coat, i purchased my from grooomers online although it doesnt have the bristle on the other side but you shouldnt need a bristle brush for this coat type although hard to tell as ive not seen or felt his coat texture, hope that is a help to you. Matt splitters are also good for getting the knot free and then use the pin brush. Also brushing him before a bath is alot easier asbathing makes it more knotty :thumbsup:

Your right Foxway if you brush after bathing oh my god how hard is that. advice from an x hairdresser never comb when you can brush. Brushing stimulates the scalp /skin and natural oils are produced better than any supplement you can give a dog

Debsy

My mum has a full beddy and uses a comb, it has two rows of "teeth" ang they are sort of wobbily :lol: I'm probably making no sense at all. But it seems to work. She mats so easily and has to be groomed every other day.

Here she is looking quite fluffy :lol:

020708026.jpg

Will ask my mum what else she uses and get back to you :thumbsup:

Em x

em21 said:
My mum has a full beddy and uses a comb, it has two rows of "teeth" ang they are sort of wobbily  :lol:   I'm probably making no sense at all. But it seems to work. She mats so easily and has to be groomed every other day.
Here she is looking quite fluffy  :lol:

020708026.jpg

Will ask my mum what else she uses and get back to you  :thumbsup:

Em x

What a gret dog so many tight curls however ,what happens when they are bred with a whippy as the fur takes on a more straighter frizz so differant to the bedlington and the colours of the cross beddy whippet are magnificantwhat a cross

Debsy

debsy said:
em21 said:
My mum has a full beddy and uses a comb, it has two rows of "teeth" ang they are sort of wobbily  :lol:   I'm probably making no sense at all. But it seems to work. She mats so easily and has to be groomed every other day.

020708026.jpg

Em x

What a gret dog so many tight curls however ,what happens when they are bred with a whippy as the fur takes on a more straighter frizz so differant to the bedlington and the colours of the cross beddy whippet are magnificantwhat a cross

Debsy

Hmm true, Elsie look very similar to Poppy when she was a baby so thought her coat might turn out quite close to the beddy texture? Beddies and whippies are great so a cross between the two must be fab :D My mum always jokes that we should breed Poppy and Dudley (w00t) Dudley fancies Poppy already i think :lol:

Are you the lady with Jake? He's absolutely adorable :wub:

Em x

I have Rafferty, a full Beddy. I have a comb which has rotating teeth so as I pull it through his coat the teeth don't get snagged on any lugs but they sort of glide over them & don't pull his fur.

I give him a good "down to the wood (w00t) " clip a couple of times a year & he gets a thorough grooming once a week.

Scrumpy is a beddyX whippet & has a very fine coat, she doesn't shed much but doesn't need clipping either. I use the same comb on her just to loosen up the dead hair. She is quite low maintenance really. When I've just combed her she looks very whippetty but 2 seconds later after a good full body shake she is back to her normal scruffy self :lol:

Raffy is at the front, Scrumpy to the right. The other dog is Hebe who needs a brush about once a month, self cleaning hound (unless she's rolled in something disgusting :- " )

J.T. said:
I have Rafferty, a full Beddy. I have a comb which has rotating teeth so as I pull it through his coat the teeth don't get snagged on any lugs but they sort of glide over them & don't pull his fur.

Thank you, the comb you mentioned sounds like the one em21 was describing too and sounds like a good idea, any idea if it has a certain name/make?

At the moment I've been using one that sounds similar to the one Debsey mentioned, just a normal pin brush and now her coat is getting coarser it seems to work quite well.

She's not needing much grooming at the mo anyway as she likes to attack my old hairbrush which is one of the pin ones like hers but much bigger, rubbing herself on it at the same time so she's a self grooming dog at the mo :teehee:

Thankyou for the pictures too, I can't wait to see how Elsie's going to turn out. She was the most thrown towards the Bedlington out of the litter as well as being the biggest.

em21 said:
debsy said:
em21 said:

020708026.jpg

Em x

Debsy

Hmm true, Elsie look very similar to Poppy when she was a baby so thought her coat might turn out quite close to the beddy texture? Beddies and whippies are great so a cross between the two must be fab :D My mum always jokes that we should breed Poppy and Dudley (w00t) Dudley fancies Poppy already i think :lol:

Are you the lady with Jake? He's absolutely adorable :wub:

Em x

Hi Em im the person with Jake for my sins hes adorable to look at and i agree he looks quite a star when brushed for aprox 2 seconds untill he shakes and rubs himself all around my carpet. Then its back to scruff bag... (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back