The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hair Loss Around Eye

hellie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi, i'm new here on the forum and was wondering if I could get some advice as to a condition I have encountered with my blue whippet within the last month. My whippet has been losing hair around her eye and rubs her eye during the course of the day mostly after she has napped. When I've taken her for walks and if the weather is slightly cold, her eye tears. This happened quite often in the beginning of her condition. I've taken to the vet at the initial of her condition who in turn gave an ointment to put in the eye suggesting this could be conjunctivitis. The ointment didn't help and the condition has progressed further with more hair loss around the eye, sometimes it is red on the exposed skin where there is not hair and looks dry. Another thing, that I've noticed is a small patch of hair loss with some small bumps on her head but the skin isn't exposed as much as her eye. This too has progress in a month which I thought it was perhaps just a bit from an insect though on my first visit to the vet about her condition I did make them aware of a small bump but this since has progress to a few more small bumps. I'm not sure whether this could be an allergy or skin condition....In the same month when her condition happened I changed her food from Arden Grange to James Wellbeloved. I've tried to give as much information as I could here concerning her condition, so I would gladly appreciate some advice or views from anyone who has possibly encountered a similar condition with their dog or knows what this could be. Thanks

is there any abnormality visible in her eye, such as redness, cloudiness, swelling?

is there any abnormality visible in her eye, such as redness, cloudiness, swelling?
According to the vet there isn't any abnormality visible in her eye. He carried out the necessary checks and said all seems to be ok. As for redness, this is only found on the outside of her eye where there is no hair, mainly on the eyelid. What I have noticed is a slight brown discolouring of hair underneath the eye where there is not so much of hair loss but you have to look closely in order to notice this. The question that I've asked myself, is why would she tear when taking her for walks especially if the weather is slightly colder? This happened at the initial of her condition when she had still quite a few hairs. The loss of hair seems to be more around the eyelid and tear drop. Thank you for replying to my post.

PS: I've attached of her eye condition.

Thessa.jpg

Does not look good in your photo. I would get her back to the vet ASAP.

It may just be an allergy to food but you cannot take any chances with eyes.

I doubt it is a food allergy as it is only affecting one eye.

Meantime, it may be an idea to move your whippet back onto the Arden grange.

I have just heard about a young whippet dog that started having problems with one of his eyes, and around his eye, and was taken to the vets where the vet tried several different types of treatment, before taking a biopsy. Unfortunately he has been diagnosed with a cancer, a sarcoma next to his eye. Hopefully it has been diagnosed early and he will be OK.

Please get this seen again ASAP. Your vet can refer your dog to a specalist if required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Eve for replying to my post. I know it isn't looking good her eye hence my posting to get different views on this issue. I've done some research and it is hard to tell what it could be. The only option which I've considered is to go back to giving her Arden Grange because the condition on her eye started at the same time when I changed food. Thessa (my whippet) unfortunately can only see the vet next week, who will then take some skin scrapping to analyse problem. Because this is my 3rd time going to the vet, I just thought of post this condition on forums to hear from other whippet owners or a pet owner that could have encountered a similar condition. We have been fortunate enough with Thessa, who is going on to be 3yrs old, having good health so far but this is worrying to us. I've tried also to find a vet that is familiar with the breed in my county but I've no had any joy. Once again thank you for sharing your view on this issue.

Your regular vet should be quite capable of finding out what is wrong with the eye.

If he cannot find anything, I am sure that he will refer you to a specalist.

I hope all goes well with the visit to the vet next week. :luck:

Mange or ringworm can cause hair loss around the eye.

Looks like Demodex,a small mite in the hair follicle.My Finn gets it from time to time,i get Advocate from the vets,a spot on treatment,that cures it.

Might be worth a try.

Amanda..xx

Amanda it seems that is might be what you mentioned, I've done some research on the name and found already similar pictures of dogs with a similar look as Thessa; however demodex on older dogs could be a more serious issue.

Quote from a website: 'ADULT ONSET-- Most demodicosis occurs in young dogs, under age one and a half. An older dog should not get demodicosis unless he or she has an underlying problem with the immune system. In such cases, demodicosis is considered a indication to seek a more serious hidden condition such as cancer, liver or kidney disease, or an immune-suppressive hormone imbalance. A more extensive medical work-up will be required.'

Fortunately, Thessa will be seeing the vet on Wednesday and hope the diagnostics will not underline a more serious issue with her. Thanks x

Hope all goes well with the vet tomorrow. :luck:

Amanda it seems that is might be what you mentioned, I've done some research on the name and found already similar pictures of dogs with a similar look as Thessa; however demodex on older dogs could be a more serious issue. Quote from a website: 'ADULT ONSET-- Most demodicosis occurs in young dogs, under age one and a half. An older dog should not get demodicosis unless he or she has an underlying problem with the immune system. In such cases, demodicosis is considered a indication to seek a more serious hidden condition such as cancer, liver or kidney disease, or an immune-suppressive hormone imbalance. A more extensive medical work-up will be required.'

Fortunately, Thessa will be seeing the vet on Wednesday and hope the diagnostics will not underline a more serious issue with her. Thanks x
Let me know how you get on,its a real pain,but easy to treat.It tends to pop up now and again,i must say,since Finn has been on Advocate,we have had no break outs,With him,it seemed to come back if he injured himself or was stressed about something.Vet will probabably want to do a skin scrape,buy with Demodex it doesnt always show up on the slide,as it so far down,.

Hope all goes well and you get it sorted.

Amanda..xxx

I also think it looks like a skin condition rather than an eye condition

bitches sometimes get mange after a season or nursing; all sorts of stress can bring it on

and what about sarcoptic mange?

eczema?

is the vet recommending any treatment?

Looks like Demodex,a small mite in the hair follicle.My Finn gets it from time to time,i get Advocate from the vets,a spot on treatment,that cures it.Might be worth a try.

Amanda..xx
was thinking the same myself is their any hair loss on her feet ask the vet to do a skin scraping asap

Thank you everyone for your comments and thoughts on what the issue could be... Hopefully soon, i will be able to give an update, though i'm convinced that it might be demodex. As for hair loss on the paws, there hasn't been any from what i've gathered. What i've noticed has been mainly around her left eye and on her head, where a small patch has become more visible.

An Update:

- Thessa went for her skin scrapping last week Wednesday and unfortunately that was not enough for them to see what the problem could be, so a skin biopsy was sent to the labs for further analysis and it turns out she has a primary bacterial skin infection called pyoderma. She is now on antibiotics to clear this up and hopefully the condition should/will improve.

Just would like to thank everyone here on the forum, who gave their input on my post regarding the possibility of her condition, it was appreciated and helpful too! :thumbsup:

I am glad that it is something treatable with AB's. :luck:

The switch back to Arden Grange should also help.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back