The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hancock Lurcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Mr David Handcock not offer to have one of his puppies back rather than have them end up in rescue :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe a "HANCOCK" Lurcher is a coveted type of dog - a collie x greyhound is it? Suppposed to be an excellent line.

bappit said:
Will Mr David Handcock not offer to have one of his puppies back rather than have them end up in rescue :- "

My thought's exactly :- " .....If you breed them, they are always your responsibility ......

[SIZE=14pt]30 of them and those are just the ones that you've rescued!![/SIZE]

It's ridiculous.

Ridiculous, way too polite a word Beejay.

BeeJay said:
[SIZE=14pt]30 of them and those are just the ones that you've rescued!![/SIZE]
It's ridiculous.

Yep Beejay! TBH not all of them have stayed with Gap for homing but they are the ones ive had the pound on the phone about and we have liased with other rescues to get them to places of safety!

Last year White Lodge took a stunning Hancock boy in very young black and stunning. About two months later we took a young black Hancock lad also stunning rang Mr Hancock for breeding and thought hang on this lad was born on Christmas Day that rings a bell, yes our very own Levi was littermate to the one homed two months earlier by White Lodge FFS! So they are turning up in two's now :rant: The youngest we pulled this year and passed on was a 5mnth old pup who had only been sold to in his words " three of them dodgy looking they were all took a bitch from the same litter!" just two weeks before. The oldest is below Jessie.....

Just under 14 and dumped by his owner

052435a4c9c0ba0bdc03e549048cf846.jpg

Weve probably physically handled and rehomed about 8 via Gap this year and all are doing well. :thumbsup:

kitty said:
I believe a "HANCOCK" Lurcher is a coveted type of dog  - a collie x greyhound is it? Suppposed to be an excellent line.
Yes fantastic lines they make wonderful family *pets*! Years ago his dogs DID make decent workers my Father was a good friend of his and had his dogs from him when he just bred a few carefully selected.

He is now breeding pet dogs from non working stock and that is why so many of them are being abandoned. They are being sold to young lads for working and most of them would roll over and submit to a rabbit they have an excellent temprement in the main. The young en's that buy them seem to think they will just grow up and know exactly what they would like them to do :lol:

I believe he has turned his owness to the agility and pet market now. Cos of course there arnt enough lurchers that make excellent pets waiting for homes in rescue as it is are there :- "

The thing that REALLY pees me off is that some insurance companies are jumping on the bandwaggon and are now charging PEDIGREE prices to insure a Hancock dog simply because they are earmarked and there history can be traced back for however many generations. Breeding lines traceable or not they are still lurchers and are still in the main a cross breed so more people are now profitiing from his constant pumping out of puppies.

From what I've heard and seen Mr Hancock used to breed nice collie grey lurchers but sucess has gone to his head and now he breeds and breeds and breeds with out thinking, without testing the dogs in the field, sells the good puppies out of his many many litters and disposes of the rest I know people who have them and say that they are very good (but that is because he is selective over which ones he sells), but I have also heard of many that can't work for toffee. I have also spoken to people who have been to his kennels and say that the sight makes them feel physically ill.

Have you seen his website- he has puppies available 365 days a year :rant:

http://www.lurcherpuppies.co.uk/

Yes hope this and every Handcock lurcher (as well as every other of any breeding finding itself in need of re-homing finds a permanent home), I did'nt mean to be flippant-for I know Mr Hancock does not have a return policy...how could he at the rate they are churned out!

My understanding is he was a pig farmer who diversified into puppy farming...and has never pretended otherwise. With little written information about lurchers at the time, the fact that he appeared to be held in some regard by Plummer and a few other 'respected' authors giving him a nod of approval on the subject of lurcher breeding and working added to the appeal of his dogs, which as Lisa rightly said is on the decline in working circles as he no longer appears to breed from workers, and those naive enough to 'buy into the belief' are sadly disappointed if they dont put the work in-they would need to with any pup these are no different. I still am to hear a decent explination as to why these colliexgrey's basically are any more special than any others?

dear oh dear oh dear..... :angry:

well. it was me who got the wrong end of the stick and posted on dog rescue pages, to Lisa.

Imagine - I really thought it was a viable option that Mr Hancock would care enough to take back one of his dogs.

I'm sorry to have stirred up a hornets nest. On the other hand I am really glad to have found this out. Because I have met people here in London who's dogs I have admired who have praised Hancock to the skies and recommended him to me as THE person to get a dog from.

Now I will have something to say, instead of nodding and smiling.

Lo and behold first call today guess what two more Hancocks needing out :rant:

A dog and a bitch.

Dont suppose anyone else is going to be able to squeeze them in so fingers crossed we can.

bappit said:
Hello, I'm new here and I am Austins foster mum. I was told to look on this forum when I mentioned to someone I had a hancock lurcher as a foster dog. I didn't think that when I look my little Austin would be the start of a debate on David Hancock :wacko:

Anyway, I'm sure given the choice Austin prefers it where he is atm rather than going back to him. He's living the life of luxury with my 4 greyhounds and he is a wonderful boy who I will miss when he finds his forever sofa :wub:

Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back