The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hand signals and deafness

JoanneF

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I mentioned already that Timber seems to be going deaf. Fortunately we have used hand signals and similar for a while - not in anticipation of him losing his hearing but particularly with recall, if he has been some distance and upwind, a visual cue was always helpful.

But one thing I never thought to use a non-verbal sign for was ”good boy” and I really regret that.

I've been working on it, randomly using a thumbs up and rewarding.

I'm open to ideas to help reinforce the message, but please everyone, start pairing your ”good dog” verbal with a hand signal. You never know when you might need it.

That's a good idea. For some reason I use hand clapping without actually clapping so no sound. I think signs help emphasise a verbal instruction too as a dogs language is body language. (I know you know that )

It's a great suggestion. Because I had working dogs, I trained mine from the start to hand signals as well as verbals, and it is useful in many contexts, so a good reminder.

I mentioned already that Timber seems to be going deaf. Fortunately we have used hand signals and similar for a while - not in anticipation of him losing his hearing but particularly with recall, if he has been some distance and upwind, a visual cue was always helpful.

But one thing I never thought to use a non-verbal sign for was ”good boy” and I really regret that.

I've been working on it, randomly using a thumbs up and rewarding.

I'm open to ideas to help reinforce the message, but please everyone, start pairing your ”good dog” verbal with a hand signal. You never know when you might need it.

This is a good reminder as I have experienced a dog going deaf. Although she also had cataracts so hand signals would not have helped.
Funnily enough I have been adding hand signals too. Not sure how official but Asher responds.
I do a hand beckon for fetch to my hand. This was started as my knee hurt and I was sat down for fetch and needed him to drop the ball into my hand. Of course he protested but now will do even when I'm stood. I am now doing a two hand wave with come. Thumbs up for good boy.
What could you use for wait? I am probably already using my hand facing down.

For mine, "wait" was signalled by taking one step forward from a face-on posture with hand outstretched horizontally, while "stay" was a static sideways posture with a raised hand outstretched. But really, we can use anything as long as we are consistent.

For Jasper, 'wait' was one hand forward with my index finger raised, as if pointing to the sky.

“Wait” is actioned with the right palm at 45 degrees parallel with the ground.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back