The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Hares

Mark Roberts

The Ringmaster
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Just been for a walk over nearby fields with the dogs, I normaly only see the odd Hare or two but today we saw and ran 7 all big strong Hares and all giving the dogs a good course.

The dogs loved it and so I was wondering if anybody else had noticed an increase in other areas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark i havnt noticed more hares this season, what i have seen is better quality hares as you say big and strong! especially on the fens!..Kevo.

Hi Mark some placers in E Anglia , where the club course we have not completed the card , then in other there are plenty . After speaking to a keeper friend , he said that if the fox population is large , then they clear up the young in their seats, at an early age Paul (lynperry)

Hi Paul

We have a large fox population near me, my whippets are regularly getting hold of them as our garden backs onto farm land although I don't encourage them to tackle fox.

i've noticed the Hare population has increased but the rabbit population has dropped dramatically, as is evident when out with the lamp. :(

Well we are really out of luck-no rabbits or hares, although I don't usually spot the hares until March anyway. I assumed the rabbits were missing due to myxie, make a change round here for Raynard to hunt rabbits rather than scavenge.

Lydia.

Hi Lydia

We had Myxie about 3 miles away that wiped out a great ferreting spot last year :( but it's now recovering nicely.

but theres never been any sign of it on this land? :) just natural predation I think.

Hi,

I'm not sure it is Myxie with our local rabbits-they probably know me and my dogs footsteps, as well as the sound of my car, I'm visualising them all in their burrows laughing at me and dogs out in the freezing cold...... :(

Come the spring,when they're tempted out for spring grass they'd better watch out! :D

Lydia and Darkstars

Lydia

get you'reself a Ferret! the rabbits will be more eager to come out and play if you get a ferret to go in and ask them? :p

Ah!-So thats where I'm going wrong, my whippet dog putting his head in the burrow entrance and asking isn't enough! :D

I have sometimes thought of getting a ferret, mine would be the ones that stayed in the burrows- playing/eating the rabbits and I'd have to resort to digging them out. Which I'm not into!-Being a weak and feeble female so to speak :D

I'll leave it for a bit and see if the bunnies come back!

Lydia

I have sometimes thought of getting a ferret, mine would be the ones that stayed in the burrows- playing/eating the rabbits and I'd have to resort to digging them out.
Ha Ha you must be talking about the ferrets that are related to the ones I have? :angry:

Hi, if I ever do get one- ferret that is, I know not to get one from you! :D

Do you end up digging yours out, or do they eventually re-appear?

Lydia

not got one at the moment, my last one died :( but i've got some younge ones ordered for later this year when they are born.

very rearly have to dig to them but I always use a locator just in case but a well fed ferret will seldom lie up (kill the rabbit then stay and eat it)

We've got a great little ferret we found him crossing the main road near our house about 6yr ago & my grandad reckons it's the best he's ever seen...... added bonus is we think he's been vasectomised so he mates our gills every year & nothings ever come of it (pardon the pun)

Hi Vicky I lost my Jill this year, with racing I didn't want to breed and a bloke near us has got a chopped hob but could never get hold of him so she never got mated ended up with a wombe infection and had to be put to sleep. :(

so I need a new one.

Hi Mark, just to be cheeky, with reference to your comment " I need a new one"- don't we all! :D

Lydia

hi all i wos out this morning with the dogs . first time this year as not been a lot of rain <ground to hard to run > i see 7 hares but only got on 2 one there seems to be more about i put this down to the lammpers not geting out

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back